Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Hari Seldon

VEB integration w/ VBR administration

Post by Hariseldon1 »

https://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-endpoi ... ation.html

So each endpoint still needs individual manual tedious configuration... only that Veeam Backup Replication can be used as a destination to store backup files?

(VBR becomes a dumb write-to destination option the way the end user some other file storage location)

I read that the licensed product "VEB2.0" is going to be fantastic!

Is there any plans for migration of jobs FROM VEBfree --> TO licensed VEB2.0? Or do all jobs have to be reconfigured 'from adam again' in VEB2.0?

Realizing that VEB2.0 is not released, I know you cannot be specific in certain areas, but surely you have some path/plan in mind to entice current users of VEBfree to buy the licensed product when available :D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VEB integration w/ VBR administration

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, currently there is no central management capability for VEB from Veeam backup server. Here is an existing topic for further reading > Feature Request - Central Management Console

Yes, there would be an upgrade procedure for all existing VEB installations to version 2.0.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Hari,
only that Veeam Backup Replication can be used as a destination to store backup files?
(VBR becomes a dumb write-to destination option the way the end user some other file storage location)
It's up to you. VEB supports internal and removable local storage, shared folders destinations and Veeam Backup and Replication repository as a target.
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Hari Seldon

Post by Hariseldon1 »

Is there some kind of overview on the planned transition process from individually configured VEB instances --> centrally managed/monitored "Licensed VEB 2.0" product?

*note* I said "planned transition process" because:
-- obviously Veeam currently is without a Centrally Managed Backup solution for physical servers.
-- VEBfree can fill void locally configured at each server
-- Licensed "VEB 2.0" has been hinted at "coming soon"

I would suspect that there is some planning/thoughts how to transition from VEBfree to Licensed 2.0
( maybe VEBfree backups local configs are uploaded to managed server )

If I had any kind of readable material laying out the plans.... I would be reading already :-)

Sorry for vagueness: I wish I could speak more precisely to the reasons why I made this post.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hari, we cannot share any specifics yet, but you can take a look at our LabTech integration, where VEB Free editions can be discovered and then upgraded to the paid version remotely.