Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
chaycockdds
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlton Haycock

Cannot back up to removable drive in a drive tray

Post by chaycockdds »

I have a removable drive tray that lets me insert/remove SATA drives from my system. I would like to use those as a backup target instead of USB drives. However, the backup software refuses to back up to them because they are 'locally attached' and does not see them as removable. Why is there this limitation? It should not matter what I back up to as long as I'm not trying to backup to the same drive I am backing up. The ability to only backup to USB (or 'removable') drives is a severe limitation. Are there any plans to change this limitation?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Cannot back up to removable drive in a drive tray

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Carlton,

Removable drives like ESATA are treated by operating system like internal devices. To avoid the ‘internal drive limitation’ pick volume level backup instead of entire PC and select all the volumes manually.
chaycockdds
Novice

Post by chaycockdds »

I'm still not clear on why there is an 'internal drive limitation' to begin with. As long as I am not trying to backup to the same drive I am backing up, why should it matter to the software that it is an 'internal' or non-removable drive?
chaycockdds
Novice

Post by chaycockdds »

>To avoid the ‘internal drive limitation’ pick volume level backup instead of entire PC and select all the volumes manually.

Will that still allow me to do a bare-metal restore?
chaycockdds
Novice

Post by chaycockdds »

By the way, thank you very much for the quick response to my post!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome. Setting Entire PC backup to internal drive is not safe in terms in disaster recovery: if your hard drive collapse, you will lose your data and the backup. Bare Metal Recovery is possible for any type of volume level backup (Entire PC backup, Volume level backup).