Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LaWo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lars Erik Wold

Experience with HP D2D Solution?

Post by LaWo »

Hi,
I am testing an solution with HP D2D 2504i and Veeam (latest version). We have configured the 2504i with CIFS Share. First full backup the speed is as expected (80 -130MB/Sec). Then when the job run next time (syntethic backup) the speed is down to 5-6MB/Sec.
I have read an articel the the HP D2d is certified by Veeam http://www.veeam.com/news/veeam-demonst ... verse.html "Veeam has certified HP’s StorageWorks D2D storage solutions for compatibility with Veeam Backup & Replication™.”

First I tought that the reason had somthing to do with deduplication, but deduplication cant be turned off on CIFS share.

Anyone out there that have som experience with this?

LaWo
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Experience with HP D2D Solution?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Lars,

Try disabling deduplication for Veeam backup job in its advanced settings and see how it reflects on your backup performance. Besides, with v5 we will introduce traditional incremental backup, that should also improve overall performance.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

We are actually sending an engineer over to HP labs in Bristol next week to certify Veeam Backup v5 with this new version of HP D2D devices. The article and testing you are referring to was performed on previous generation of HP D2D devices about half-year ago, apparently since then HP have made significant updates to the code (funny coincidence btw, since I just talked to them earlier today at VMworld Europe). I do not expect any compatibility issues with HP D2D given the new backup mode v5 provides that was specifically designed for storage devices with hardware deduplication. At least alpha code was rocking.
LaWo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lars Erik Wold

Post by LaWo »

OK, I will try to disable deduplication and monitor the result. Thanks for quick answers. Looking forward to test v5 :)