Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Notification bug in VBR 9.0.0.1491 ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hi guys,

last friday I re-created some disk jobs on two VBR 9.x servers and introduced per-vm-chain, which really is a nice feature to reduce the restore-load. There is one VBR 8.x server left, which is due to be upgraded soon.
For the B2T- and F2T-jobs, I switched from global to customized notification with the default ...

[%JobResult%] %JobName% (%TapeCount% Tapes) %Issues%

The result in VBR 9.x in the SMTP subject line is ...

[Success] B2T_JOB01 (1 VMs)

The result in VBR 8.x in the SMTP subject line is ...

[Success] F2T_JOB01 (1 Tapes)

I have 2 VBR 9.0.0.1491 servers with the same result, in VBR 8.x it works correctly.

Btw, what variables can be used in customized notification, the variable %TapeCount% is not mentioned in your helpcenter html document for VBR for vSphere, it can only be seen in your screenshot. I am missing variables for ...

Backup files processed
Backup repositories processed

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Notification bug in VBR 9.0.0.1491 ...

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Didi7,

TapeCount is the only custom variable for tape reporting. Had a quick check in my lab and yes, for file to tape jobs TapeCount is recognized as a VM count, thus subject has an incorrect information. However, it works correctly for Backup to tape. Thanks for posting – I’ve passed this information to QA.

Regarding additional variables, noted as a feature request. Any other variables that might come handy?
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hi Dima P.,

I suppose you mean the other way round? F2T jobs correctly report Tape Count and B2T incorrectly report VM Count, when using %TapeCount% variable?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Dima P. wrote:Regarding additional variables, noted as a feature request. Any other variables that might come handy?
Well, what are the things that are processed in B2T and F2T jobs?

F2T jobs process files, so a variable %FileCount% would be nice.
B2T jobs process backup repositories and backup jobs, so a variable %BackupRepositoriesCount% and %BackupJobsCount% would be nice.

What other things would be nice in a subject line? Maybe the amount of Data written to tape, so something like %DataProcessedInMB%, %DataProcessedInGB% and %DataProcessedInTB% would be handy, but the other two are sufficient, if you ask me.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hello again,

last Friday I had the opportunity to upgrade the last VBR 8.x Server to VBR 9.0.0.1491, which btw. worked like a charm. The only thing worth mentioning is the fact, that the ...

Veeam Installer Service

... stays on 8.0.0.817 and will not be upgraded to 9.0.0.1491 on Veeam VMware Backup Proxies.

An already existing F2T job has been modified to reflect the changes, which have been introduced with v9.0.0.1491, like per-vm-chain backup and some file- oder directory additions, which might have been added due to the changes. In Advanced Settings (Notifications) under Options for the F2T job, we selected cutom notification with the following variable ...

[%JobResult%] %JobName% (%TapeCount% Tapes) %Issues%

The result in the SMTP-subject line was ...

[Success] F2T_JOB01 (1 VMs)

... which is still the wrong result.

Conclusion:
The %TapeCount% variable is completely useless in F2T- and B2T Jobs in VBR 9.0.0.1491

Please fix this asap!

Regards,
Didi7

P.S.: I suppose that the %TapeCount% variable was working for F2T- and B2T-jobs in VBR 8.x, but now I am unable to verify that, because I upgraded the last VBR server to 9.0.0.1491
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Didi7,

I'll let QA team know the results of your finding and thanks for sharing ideas for possible variables in tape reports. I’ll gladly add them to the feature request.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Thanks.