Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Feature request: Warn if "out-of-schedule" full will run?

Post by pkelly_sts »

Related to case 01848827.

The case was querying why a tape job ran an unexpected full backup on a particular Thursday, when it was scheduled to happen on a Saturday (it ran on the Saturday also).

In my case it turns out the issue was self-inflicted, as I had learned that any full backup processing configured on a source FF job automatically stopped any synthetic full processing on a linked tape job, so the combination of me switching things around cause an "unexpected" (by me) full backup to run that Thursday night as well as an expected full on the Saturday.

My feature request is to possibly warn users if a config change they've just made (or are about to save, e.g. on a summary dialog) will initiate a full backup during the next cycle, unless it was due to run a full during that cycle anyway (e.g. if making the change on a Saturday in my case then it wouldn't have mattered)?

I later (from support) understood why it did what it did, but wasn't prepared for it as well as I could have been had I known about it (only had sufficient media available for a single full backup).

I appreciate there's a lot of logic required to determine such things, but thought I'd throw the idea out there anyway :-)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request: Warn if "out-of-schedule" full will run

Post by Dima P. »

Makes total sense to me. Thanks for sharing!