Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Urgent query: Safe to sVmotion a failed-over VM?

Post by pkelly_sts »

I'm currently in a failover scenario on one of our small sites & it turns out our destination VMFS isn't the best candidate to keep running the failed-over VMs. Is there any significant impact of performing a local sVmotion (i.e. to another VMFS on the same host server) whilst we're in a fail-over state?

I imagine we're likely to make it a permanent failover but that decision hasn't been taken just yet.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Urgent query: Safe to sVmotion a failed-over VM?

Post by foggy »

Hi Paul, this needs to be checked, since I cannot guarantee we'd be able to failback or permanently failover in case replica changes its datastore. I believe you could ask support for assistance or check it yourself on some smaller VM.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Paul, I would suggest to do permanent failover and then run the sVmotion operation. Please keep in mind that you would be able to migrate back to production (if needed) via configuring new replication job and then mapping this VM replica to the production VM.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

OK, thanks for prompt reply. Not really in a position to check much so think we might have to live with it until someone decides to make failover permanent.

Turns out we've been replicating 4 VMs, including a SQL server, to a single 600Gb disk in the other host - far from ideal! I have a RAID-1 300Gb VMFS available on the same host but not big enough to hold all VMs.

Great start to my monday... :-/
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Paul, I would suggest to do permanent failover and then run the sVmotion operation. Please keep in mind that you would be able to migrate back to production (if needed) via configuring new replication job and then mapping this VM replica to the production VM.
Ah, thanks Vitaly, that's very useful to know...
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

OK, so I've made the failover permanent for one of the VMs, it still has the 3 configured RPs tied to it, should I delete/merge these before doing the sVmotion, or is it safe/ok to bring them over too? It's highly unlikely that we'll be reverting to any of those snapshots so I'm not overly precious about them...
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

As per VMware KB, storage vMotion with snapshots is supported in ESXi5.0 and above, so it's OK to migrate them. Please take a look at this documentation to learn more.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

However, permanent failover should remove all existing replica VM snapshots. Are you sure you're looking at the correct VM?
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts » 1 person likes this post

Ah, apologies guys, your'e right (and I thought that was the case) the snapshots have been removed & I WAS looking at incorrect VM - sorry!