Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Latest VMware Updates/Patches to include/avoid RE: Veeam

Post by rreed »

Morning, all. W/ all the VMware v6 updates/patches breaking things it's been a challenge to keep up w/ what we should and/or should not be installing on our VMware hosts to help keep our Veeam backups running.

Do we have a list of updates/patches to include/exclude in our VMware host patching to make sure not break Veeam, CBT, etc. please?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Latest VMware Updates/Patches to include/avoid RE: Veeam

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

I don't believe there ever was a vSphere 6 build without some critical issue. What supports this is the fact that when I ask customers why in the world do they jump the latest vSphere updates and patches so quick, before they are proven not to bring new issues - they respond that they are forced to upgrade by VMware support, because these updates and patches fix the outstanding issues they currently have.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Thanks Gostev, I believe much of the world at large would agree w/ you. At that, do we have an specificity relating to breaking Veeam backups please? For instance does Update 2 break backups, corrupt data, etc.? Any particular patches that break Veeam backups in any way?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
NightBird
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by NightBird »

May be ESXi 6 update1B is the more stable release of vsphere 6 ? with express patch 5 (security fix) ?
cahaynes86
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Haynes

Post by cahaynes86 »

I agree with NightBird. 6U1b patched up to EP5 is where I have been landing my Veeam B&R 9U1 customers lately and things appear to working smoothly so far.
tommls
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Tom Lyczko

Post by tommls »

We are on 6.0 update 2 but with hardware version 8 or lower on all VMs.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

We're running U1 w/ I forget what misc. patches, I need to look. It's been stable for us so far, backups - and restores - seem to be working fine. We're due for another round of patching to satisfy some requirements, I just really don't want to break it. :? I have the impression U2 broke some stuff (CBT again?) so I'm very leery of applying it and risking our backups. Hardware version on VM's runs the gamut of I think 8 up to 11. Tools is 10.0.0.9 on at least most if not all but I've recently setup a Baseline to get those squared away.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
tommls
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Tom Lyczko

Post by tommls »

Some of the issues people had were related to hardware version 10 or 11 so I never upgraded the hardware versions, since I don't know what the difference or improvement is between the various hardware versions.
I haven't done any updates beyond 6.0 U2 either. VMware forums are unhelpful nowadays compared to years past.