Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
lknowlton@fcrhra.org
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lawrence Knowlton

Installation/configuration - how to go about it

Post by lknowlton@fcrhra.org »

Hello,
I need some advice on how to setup VEEAMZIP free, using the following hardware to back up 1.5 TB uncompressed:
1 Dell T300 server 8GB ram, 4C (2HT), 1 SAS RAID 5 array approx 300GB, 1 RD1000 internal drive and just converted it to 2012 R2.
1 Dell T430 server 64GB ram, 12C (6HT), 1 SAS RAID 1 array 1.2TB SAS (OS), 1 RAID 1 array 2TB NLSAS, 2012 R2 Hyper-v, 4 server VMs.
Both servers are using NIC teams attached to a Cisco 2960X switch stack using LACP channels.
I'd like to re-use the T300 as our backup server using the RD1000 drive (which doesn't get 'seen' by VMs).
All that said, I've not been able to locate the information necessary to get started/pre-requisites completed and what all they might be.

Thank you!

Larry
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Installation/configuration - how to go about it

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Are you referring to hardware requirements or you are just asking what to start with?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Installation/configuration - how to go about it

Post by Vitaliy S. »

VeeamZIP is a free tool and allows backing up VMs manually or via task scheduler. In your case you need to deploy it right on the Hyper-V host or in that Windows 2012 R2 box. Since free version allows using on-host proxy only, the configuration will be basically the same in terms of data transfer performance.