Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Nautilus
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Nauti

how can i failover to a particuler Version "manually"

Post by Nautilus »

when i start a failover with the Veeam Console, i get failure message, that the VMX files has been modified.

How can i failover a VM manually ?

Thanks

Veeam Backup Version 4.1
Alexey D.

Re: how can i failover to a particuler Version "manually"

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Nauti,

Did you make any modifications (by hand or with any software) to VMX file by any chance?

Yes, you can do a manual failover, please feel free to refer to this post: Testing replica for instructions.
Please note that only the most recent state of replica is available for manual procedure. Also, if you plan to continue replication process for this VM, please create a snapshot prior to powering it on - this will protect from breaking restore points' chain.

Hope this helps!
Nautilus
Influencer

Post by Nautilus »

i renamed the Display of the VM, but revert back to the original Name, what ever.....

i Have 14 restore Points, and i want (have) to go back to "maybe" all this points to get my running version of this VM. How can i do this. In the link you give, i can start only the last Version, or did i misunderstand someting?

The original VMs are not running and the replica job is stopped 1 week ago.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The only way to restore to a particular point in time is to use a Veeam console. I'm not sure it is allowed to change VM name manually (or even edit its hardware settings) which might lead to VMX file mismatch. Besides, please note that replicated VM should always be in the state that was memorized by Veeam backup server in order to failover properly.

I would suggest running an incremental job pass (in case you didn't power on replicated VM manually before) which might resolve this issue.
Nautilus
Influencer

Post by Nautilus »

let me explain you what happened.
2 have 2 VMs (its a pair of 2Citrix Server), one them craches. After this crash, I Cloned the VMs make some changes on the clones. This Server are working now (not 100%). I changed nothing with the original VM and with the replica. i Cange 2 Times the Display Name from the Original VM, Now i have to failover to the replica because i need a useable VM and try to recover the replicas.

Allowed or not, this is now happend, and i want/have to go this way to start a failover to any replica. What is going on, when i start a fail over from Veeam Console. I must possible to start this manually.

Thansk for your help
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Your explanation is not very clear, and I am not sure what happens. It would be best to let our technical staff investigate the logs. Please open a support case and provide all logs for further assistance. Thank you.