Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kerrycorcoran
Lurker
Liked: never

Replicate VMWare VM to AWS?

Post by kerrycorcoran »

I understand I can use Veeam to perform backup jobs to the AWS cloud utilizing Storage Gateway.

I understand I can use a Veeam Cloud Connect partner to backup and or/ replicate VMWare VMs to the Veeam Cloud Connect partner cloud.

Is is possible to use Veeam to replicate VMWare VMs to the AWS cloud? Basically I am looking for a method to replicate a VMWare VM to the AWS cloud and launch. I am hoping to avoid having to build a new AWS instance, installing applications and configuring. Hoping there is some type of replication or imaging tool that will allow a VMWare VM to run in the AWS cloud.

Any insight appreciated.
Thanks,
Kerry
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Replicate VMWare VM to AWS?

Post by veremin »

Is is possible to use Veeam to replicate VMWare VMs to the AWS cloud?
Nope, it is not.

If you're looking for a DR solution, haven't you thought about using VCSP lookup to find service provider of your choice that offers Cloud Connect Replication?

Thanks.
kerrycorcoran
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by kerrycorcoran »

That would not suit my needs as I am not trying to build a traditional DR solution. My end goal is to host my primary datacenter in the AWS cloud and replicate the VMs (instances) to my on-prem hardware; acting as a DR.

Thanks,
Kerry
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

Since the AWS stack doesn't run on VMware, you are going to need some form of conversion process to happen to get your VMs to boot on whichever system is the replica location.

I don't think anyone offers a "take out of cloud and run on premise" product, since that is the opposite direction from what the industry has been moving and there likely not enough potential customers to make it worth the development time.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

You can do this to Azure instead of AWS with Azure Site Recovery
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/servi ... -recovery/

You can also take Azure VMs and run them on Hyper-V
https://www.petri.com/download-azure-vm-hyper-v