Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

WAN accelerator slowing down replication jobs?

Post by zoltank »

Case # 01863589

I'm replicating VMs over a 100mb EPL circuit. When I have the Veeam WAN accelerator enabled the EPL utilization drops to about 5-10%, the bottleneck becomes the target WAN, and the replication jobs take longer.

If I turn off the WAN accelerator then the EPL utilization jumps to nearly 100%, the bottleneck becomes the network, and my replication jobs complete more quickly.

What's going on here? Is my 100mb circuit too fast for efficient WAN accelerator use? Looking at the numbers I could see the WAN accelerator being useful on a 10mb or 20mb circuit.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: WAN accelerator slowing down replication jobs?

Post by foggy »

Expected. Depending on what is your primary concern (job duration or network utilization), you can select either this or that approach. WAN acceleration is optimized to reduce the amount of transferred data and is effectively trading disk I/O for bandwidth savings, so disk I/O performance on the target repository is a typical bottleneck for WAN accelerated jobs. With faster disks it will be able to utilize more of a network and complete faster.
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Post by zoltank »

Great information, thank you.

If I choose not to use WAN accelerator, is there some way I can throttle the speed to it'll only utilize, say, 80% of my 100mb EPL?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Sure, you can configure throttling rules for that.