Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
puivica
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Backup and replication does not exclude SQL databases

Post by puivica »

Hi all.

So, I have Veeam Backup and replication 9, with the latest patch. I created a backup job which backs up VMs on a Hyper-V cluster. 4 of those VMs are SQL Server 2014 with separate drives for mdf and ldf files. The job is set up to just back up the system, C:, drive on the SQL Servers (i have no need to backup databases over Veeam (for now)). I thought that by excluding the drives with database files i would be excluding the databases all together, but no. In the 1st few days everything was ok, and then i noticed the problems - my differential backup, which is done over a maintenance plan, is messed up, because veeam writes a backup event on the database but no backup is done. I know it's not done because, when i browse the backup, there is no databases in it. The job is setup so that application-aware is turned on and copy-only is setup.

Any help would be much appreciated. Ty.
Naim
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Naim Mucaj

Re: Veeam Backup and replication does not exclude SQL databa

Post by Naim »

There is a KB to tell you how to exclude it. Have a look.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2110
puivica
Novice

Post by puivica »

This is a per-database exclusion list. I have over 600 databases to exclude. Isn't it enough to exclude drives with db files?? Or can i just add instances and specify wildcards for databases??
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can try the ExcludeSQLInstances registry value. It is configured on the guest itself and should exclude the entire SQL instance from processing. It is a REG_MULTI_SZ value, where each instance should be specified on a separate string without any punctuation.
pirx
Veeam Legend
Liked: 72 times

Post by pirx »

This is also one point that might stop us from migrating to Veeam. Our DB team asked us if we (the VMware guys) are serious.
puivica
Novice

Post by puivica »

foggy wrote:You can try the ExcludeSQLInstances registry value. It is configured on the guest itself and should exclude the entire SQL instance from processing. It is a REG_MULTI_SZ value, where each instance should be specified on a separate string without any punctuation.
Ok, i can try that. But where do i put that key on the guest?? Is this covered with a KB?
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff »

While this kb 2104 https://www.veeam.com/kb2104 does not directly mention the registry key that foggy advises, it does mention others that provide SQL specific exclusions. The change would be made on the guest VM running SQL server and the hive is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication
puivica
Novice

Post by puivica »

I have to create this path in registry to put the key in? Veeam is not installed on the guest and the hive does not (yet) exist.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, you need to create it.
puivica
Novice

Post by puivica »

vClintWyckoff wrote:While this kb 2104 https://www.veeam.com/kb2104 does not directly mention the registry key that foggy advises, it does mention others that provide SQL specific exclusions. The change would be made on the guest VM running SQL server and the hive is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication
This didn't help. I created the keys from KB2104 and it still goes to backup my databases. I think that KB2101 is really not an option in my case (600+ databases) and is just to much administration for something that i should be able to set up a lot easier.

A little info: the backup, that "gets done" over veeam is doing nothing. SQL server log says: BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed 0 pages in 17.611 seconds (0.000 MB/sec). All it really does is just write a full backup info on the database and messes up the native backup operations (maintenance plans for logs and diff backup). Why is it even going to my databases if i have application-aware disabled and still going to my databases if i enable app-aware and check disable application processing??

I think for a product that cost a lot of money, an option to exclude something should be a viable, working option, not a registry hack (which is not working - i entered the name of the instance, it's a default instance so i entered the name of the server, still not working as it should).

Should i write to support and open a case or is this fix(do)able?

Ty
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If application-aware image processing is not enabled, the job shouldn't process SQL databases. I recommend asking support for assistance.
IvanPiacun
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ivan Piacun MIITP CITPNZ

Post by IvanPiacun » 2 people like this post

In order to avoid Application aware processing affecting SQL Server Differential and Full backup sequences we specify Application Aware Processing and for Transaction Logs say Perform Copy Only. This allows Veeam to do its SQL Aware processing without affecting other SQL backups as long as the Veeam processing is not in the same time Window as the other SQL backups. We found that we had to actually do the Veeam SQL Backups.

I know this doesn't do away with the application aware processing but it does allow Veeam to work in conjunction with SQL backups which can be used as a more reliable way of providing transactional integrity especially for restores that require SQL log restores which span multiple Veeam Backups, as the Veeam backups can be ignored.
Ivan Piacun MIITP CITPNZ