Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Scheduling running a tape copy before off-site copy?

Post by pkelly_sts »

Is there a recommended way of scheduling jobs to ensure that, ASAP after a backup job has completed, the linked tape job runs before the off-site copy job runs?

I'd basically like to ensure that I have a (quick) 2nd local tape copy of a backup before the (slow) off-site copy begins, but am unsure of the best way to schedule it as such.

Best practice is to configure the copy job sync time to be a few mins after the source job is scheduled to start, so that effectively kicks in once it sees new RPs available, but I'd like to effectively achieve the same kind of thing to tape *first* - what happens if I schedule the tape job to be 10 mins after source job starts, then the copy job scheduled 10 mins after the tape job?

Ideally I'd like to avoid having to create big wasteful time windows - I know that you can configure a "wait" time for source jobs on the tape job, but that doesn't really have much to do with copy jobs...
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Scheduling running a tape copy before off-site copy?

Post by PTide »

what happens if I schedule the tape job to be 10 mins after source job starts, then the copy job scheduled 10 mins after the tape job?
Both backup to tape and backup copy job are secondary jobs thus the first-come-first-served rule should work, just don't forget to set a "wait" time in tape job properties.

Thanks
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

OK, makes sense. One thing I did notice when running two copy jobs at the same time (over WAN) was that the jobs seemed to alternate with each VM, e.g.
Job 1 VM1 copy then
Job 2 VM1 copy then
Job 1 VM2 copy then
Job 3 VM2 copy etc. etc.

I assume this flip-flopping was only due to them sharing the same WAN-X (source & dest) so I shouldn't end up flip-flopping VMs between tape & copy job (from same source)?
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Sorry, another question: If I have a GFS monthly tape job scheduled alongside the daily tape job, when the GFS tape job runs, how do the tape jobs get prioritised?

My understanding is that the GFS tape job is effectively "started" at 00:00 of the scheduled day (last Friday of the month in my case) and waits for a new RP to appear. Once it does (starting at 20:30 & finishing around 21:15 generally), the job starts a synth full (I don't do active fulls any more) so would it run before the daily tape job in this instance (which I've currently scheduled to start 10 mins after the source job starts)?