Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
chaycock
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Carlton Haycock

DeDupe

Post by chaycock »

On the email report that VEB generates after a backup, there is a field called DeDupe. Can you explain what that fields is telling me?
I understand in general what DeDupe is, but I would like to know in the context of VEB exactly what it is indicating.

Thank you for a great program!

Carlton
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: DeDupe

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Carlton,

Deduplication rate represents how many identical data blocks were found and excluded during the backup process (since we backup only unique data blocks).
chaycock
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Carlton Haycock

Post by chaycock »

I suspected that is what it was. So just to be clear, lets say I have two copies of a 100mb file on my drive, only 100mb will be sent over during the backup process because dedupe would see that the blocks are the same and not send them twice (once for each file), correct?

I don't think many backup programs I have seen have that level of sophistication.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Carlton,

You are right VEB does not operate of a file level in terms of deduplication. Complete file deduplication happens only in both files are equally allocated on the ‘block’ level.