Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Graham
Lurker
Liked: never

specified share does not exist

Post by Graham »

Hi all,

I'm new to veeam and just trying to set it up. I have the free edition to evaluate.
Running Backup and replication version 9.0.0.1491.

I can do a VeeamZIP backup of any of my vms to a network share running on a Linux nas, using the "root" credentials of my nas. However, if I try to backup to any shares on a windows server, I get a message "specified share does not exist or credentials are invalid". I've tried several shares on several windows servers, with various credentials, all to no avail.

I've tried writing to the shares in Windows Explorer and its fine.

Is there anything I am missing or is it broken?

Many thanks

Graham
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: specified share does not exist

Post by foggy »

Hi Graham, any chance the share is hidden (with $ at the end)?
Graham
Lurker

Post by Graham »

Hi Foggy, thanks for the reply.

No, the shares are not hidden, although I have tried in hidden shares too!

I created a share on my target \\vs001\backup and shared it for all users - full permission. I'm connecting using my windows domain credentials.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please contact technical support for a closer look.
navs
Novice
Full Name: Nav Sangha

[MERGED] : Veeam to network share via GUI

Post by navs »

I am having a weird issue which i cant resolve, i am running veeam free 9 update 1. Veeam is installed on a standalone 2012r2 std hyper-v host server and i am running the console from the same server,.

From the console i can backup OK to a local drive, the result is success, although i don't quite understand why the the line "24/06/2016 08:02:53 :: Load: Source 99% > Proxy 33% > Network 3% > Target 0%" means.

However when i try to backup to a network location i get the error "specified share does not exist, or credentials are invalid". I know the credentials are valid and the share, just another windows 2008r2 server, is setup to allow the service account i am using RW access to the share and NTFS permissions, so i don't quite get why its complaining. On the hyper-v server i have logged on using the above service account (which is also a member of domain admins) and i can use windows explorer to get to the share and write to the share no problem, just an issue from within the Veeam gui.

I have removed anti virus just in case it was getting in the way, i have rebooted the server several times, and even used other domain admin accounts but cant get this to work.

Any help appreciated.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam to network share via GUI

Post by veremin »

From the console i can backup OK to a local drive, the result is success, although i don't quite understand why the the line "24/06/2016 08:02:53 :: Load: Source 99% > Proxy 33% > Network 3% > Target 0%" means.
It means that source component responsible for reading data from production storage is the weakest part of the chain. As to bottleneck explanation, check this post; might be useful.
However when i try to backup to a network location i get the error "specified share does not exist, or credentials are invalid".
A quick question - is the given share added to a backup console as a repository (shared folder)?

Thanks.
navs
Novice

Re: Veeam to network share via GUI

Post by navs »

Hi, i am using the free addition and i cant see how to add it to a repository, i thought it auto added it whilst i went through the VeeamZIP wizard.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Reach our support team for closer investigation. Even people on a free or trial license are eligible for support. Thanks.
navs
Novice

Post by navs »

Its a weird one, as if i use the powershell i can write to the share, but not via the GUI, any way i will contact support to see what they think.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can do that using our Customer Support Portal. Thanks.
FishyBC
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by FishyBC »

So I am running into exactly the same problem. I have tried domain admin credentials, our domain administrator account and root on the storage and root on the ESXI hosts but it just comes up with
Specified Share Does not Exist or credentials are invalid.

I tried 3 different storage devices, different directories on each and different credentials on all. I have tried UNC and mapped drives and am able to access all of them on the PC running VeeamZIP.
This was working perfectly for quite a while and now all of a sudden it stops working.

I did contact Veeam Support, setup an appointment to look at it and as soon as the appointment time came around, the Veeam support guy said that they DO NOT support VeeamZIP or their free products.
I too had heard that they do and we do have also have a fully licensed Veeam Enterprise Essentials deployed which is working well but even with a paid Veeam contract, they would not support me with this.

If there is something I can do to resolve or fix this, it would be much appreciated.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What is your case ID number?
FishyBC
Novice

Post by FishyBC »

Thank you Foggy,
Our case number was Case # 01851177
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Not much details in the case, however, I will pay support management attention to it, since we do support free products as well (though based on staff availability). Btw, you could also do this by using the Talk to a manager option at the customer portal.
FishyBC
Novice

Post by FishyBC »

Thank you. All I know is that the support tech (I can provide his name if you need it) got on a call with me and said that he was sorry but that you do not support free products. I had heard different but wasn't going to argue with him.
I'm not sure what "I will pay support management attention to it" means but I will look for the Talk to a manager option in the portal.
FishyBC
Novice

Post by FishyBC » 1 person likes this post

Support called me today and recommended applying Update 2 for Veeam B&R 9.
It is not fully released but in certain cases when people have issues, they make it available. Since our VeeamZIP was not working at all, I applied it.
That fixed the issue. Hope this helps someone else.
ante.fabricni@vip.hr
Lurker
Full Name: Ante

Post by ante.fabricni@vip.hr »

Hi,
Where can i download Update 2 for Veeam B&R 9?

Regards,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can get it from our support team by opening a ticket. Thanks!