Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Backup Exec coexist with Endpoint backup?

Post by ashman70 »

I have just recently moved my Veeam Backup and Replication installation off a server to dedicated hardware. The original server that was running B&R is also running BUE 2010 for daily backups. Now that B&R is no longer running on this server, I am considering installing Endpoint however I don't know if Endpoint should replace BUE or if they could run together on the same box. Can Endpoint backup straight to tape like BUE? If this is the case then I may just replace BUE with endpoint. I also my connect an external hard drive to this server so Endpoint can backup to disk and tape. Are there any size limitations with respect to external hard drives for Endpoint? Can I use larger than a 2 or 3TB external disk for backups?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Exec coexist with Endpoint backup?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Veeam Endpoint Backup cannot backup directly to tape. It should be done via Veeam B&R server. There are no size limitations for the attached external disks. Thanks!
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Thanks Vitally, if I do Endpoint backups to an external disk, can I then archive those backups to tape? Can this be done on a regular basis? I just want to get rid of BUE if Endpoint will do everything it does and more.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

How is your tape devices connected to the computer? In order to achieve your goal, you might consider doing the following:

1. Create Tape Server via Veeam B&R on this computer
2. Point VEB backup job to the external device (locally attached)
3. Create a file to tape backup job (in Veeam B&R) to offload backup files created by VEB to tapes
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

My new B&R server does not have a tape drive installed or connected to it. The old B&R server has an internal tape drive. I don't want to involve B&R with Endpoint, I'd rather run them separately. So if I can run Endpoint and do backups to a locally connected external HD, can I then use the local tape drive and archive the backups from the external hard drive to the tape drive? Could I do this on a schedule daily or more frequently?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi ashman70,

Not sure I understand how you are planning to run backups to tape since VEB does not have any integration with tape libraries or standalone drives. Yes, you can store a backup to external hard drive, but how do you plan to write these backups to tape?

With current scheduling only daily backup is supported, however it’s possible to create incrementals more frequently via scripting and windows task scheduler.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

My mistake, I thought Endpoint supported tape.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No worries. Given all the configuration, it seems like installing Tape Server (not a full-blown VBR server) should do the trick in your case.