Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jbennett
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Justin Bennett

Notifications from Jobs that Disk Space is getting Low

Post by jbennett »

Some odd questions as I look around VBR:
  • What's the definition of "Backup storage" and "Production datastores" in the Options -> Notifications settings in VBR?
    Why can't percent or GB be a select-able setting on both?
Why am asking this nonsense?
We're running low on a 45TB Backup repository and (as expected) we're getting alerts as free space is going below 10%.

The knee jerk reaction is to lower the threshold of 10%. When you combine the 45TB Backup repository with additional 5.5TB backup repositories, that puts you dangerously closer to out of space on the smaller backup repositories (10% of 5.5TB vs 10% of 45TB)

Thank you in advance!
-Justin
[@cajeeper]|[http://www.allthingstechie.net]
Thernlund
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Terry Hernlund

Re: Notifications from Jobs that Disk Space is getting Low

Post by Thernlund » 1 person likes this post

My understanding is as such...
  • Backup Storage is the storage where your backups are saved to; an iSCSI target or NAS device maybe.
  • Production datastores are the storage that your production VMs are actually running on.
The first is important for obvious reasons; you need storage to store your backups. I expect that it's displayed as a percentage because Veeam backup space can fill fast and most people don't really need very granular setting there. A warning at a percentage is usually adequate.

The second is important because you need space in the datastore to create snapshots. My educated guess on why it's not a percentage is that it's for more granularity. For example, if you have 100TB of storage, 1% is still a whole terabyte, you know? You'd likely need a more granular setting. And running it out in decimals is kind of more difficult than it needs to be.

Or maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure Veeam will probably chime in.