Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

VM Order in Backup Job

Post by nmdange »

How much of a difference does the order of the VMs in the backup job make? I've noticed a lot of VMs spend a good amount of time in "Resource not ready: snapshot" state. Since only 4 VMs can be backed up per snapshot, this is expected. When watching the backup job run, it looks like Veeam processes them in the order in the job, but will skip over VMs that are waiting for resources. However, it doesn't seem like Veeam is always snapshotting/backing up 4 VMs from the same disk. Would changing the order of the VMs in the job so that VMs on the same disk are together help?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: VM Order in Backup Job

Post by PTide »

Hi,
ow much of a difference does the order of the VMs in the backup job make
It makes a very big difference

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R uses shared volume snapshots, so VMs order in the job doesn't affect overall job duration. VMs residing on the same volume are backed up according to their order in the list, while what you're seeing is most likely VMs residing on another volume waiting for their corresponding snapshot to be released (if other 4 VMs from this volume are already being backed up).
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

Yeah that is what I assumed would happen, except I only see 1 or 2 VMs actively being backed up at times, with many VMs in the snapshot not ready state. But that's just what I'm seeing when I have time to watch the backups in the evening. It's hard to discern what happened after the fact since "Resource not ready: snapshot" doesn't appear in the backup job's history after the VM finished.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can ask support to take a closer look at your setup and check whether this behavior is expected.