Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Hasslehogg
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Hogg

Veeam vs Netbackup 7

Post by Hasslehogg »

I dont suppose anyone knows of any Veeam 4+ vs Netbackup 7 articles please? or can give me a quick list of the major benefits? i know there is a comparison to netbackup 6.5, but i just wanted to prove that it is still so much better than nb7 to my managers

thanks again
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam vs Netbackup 7

Post by Gostev »

v5 makes comparison with any major backup vendor out there pretty straight-forward :)

Code: Select all

Backup Recoverability
Veeam: 100% [patent-pending]
Other: ?

Full VM Recovery Speed
Veeam: Minutes [patent-pending]
Other: Hours

Guest File Recovery
Veeam: Any file system [patent-pending]
Other: Windows only (rarely, limited Linux support)

Application Item Recovery
Veeam: Any application, inexpensive (flat fee) [patent-pending]
Other: Select applications, expensive (per server/agent/item fees)

On-Demand Sandbox (testing, training, development, etc.)
Veeam: Yes [patent-pending]
Other: No

Deduplication
Veeam: Included
Other: Extra

Replication
Veeam: Included
Other: Not available

Additional VMware backup specific features, bells and whistles
Veeam: Most
Other: Few
theflakes
Enthusiast
Full Name: Brian Kellogg

Post by theflakes »

Yeah I have to agree with Gostev even though he is employed by Veeam :-)

We did a thorough comparison and Veeam came out as the extremely easy choice for our environment especially when considering v5.
nickf
Influencer
Full Name: Nick Ferrar

Post by nickf »

I thought I'd add my 2c (found this thread via the more recent closed one...). We've historically used Netbackup for all our backups, starting with physical servers but continuing with the product for VM backups. v7 is pretty reliable and the change to vStorage API has helped a great deal, we've not had any issues so far recovering VMs in tests either.

A few months ago (for a specific project) we bought some Veeam B&R licences but that was purely for the replication functionality. I did look at the backup side of things at the time but the main limitation for me is Veeam is obviously for VMs only, whereas the project environment is a mix of physical and VMs and I really just wanted one backup technology to worry about. The other issue was NetBackup can go directly to tape (which is still our primary backup target), although it wouldn't have been that much more hassle to get NetBackup to shift the Veeam backups to tape it was just an extra step I couldn't see the point in doing. Finally we also have a front-end TB licence for NetBackup so it's essentially free to deploy (until we hit our TB licence limit), I think I'd have looked a lot more closely at Veeam for backups had we needed to purchase NetBackup licences!
nguytom
Novice
Full Name: Tom

[MERGED] Veeam backup software VS Avamar & Netbackup 7.0

Post by nguytom »

Hi All,

Anyone know the avantages & diavantages of Veeam if it compares to EMC Avamar & Symantec Netbackup 7.0 ? Please let me know. I appreciate about your comments. Thanks.

Tom
nguytom
Novice

Post by nguytom »

Thanks for your comments, but how about veemar VS avamar ? Any comment on that? Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

See my first post above. Most bullets are good against any vendor, you name it.
nguytom
Novice

Post by nguytom »

I have couple questions about Veeam :

1) Veeam does it backup to tape ? How does Veeam work ?
2) Veeam does it work with Data Domain ?
3) Could Veeam backup on NDMP & NAS ?
4) How does Veeam backup the file, does it backup like as avamar (backup the diff binary ? )

Please give me more detail on it because my manager interests on it or you can email me, thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tom,

Please look through the sticky F.A.Q. topic which covers all your questions. As for getting specific information please search our community forums for these key words "NDMP", "DataDomain" and "NAS".

Also if you need more detailed information, please take a look at our User Guide.

Thanks.
davidhood
Influencer
Full Name: david hood

Post by davidhood »

We used to always use BackupExec traditionally for our physical environments, but as we now "do" vmware for our customers we always go with veeam rather than backupexec. I appreciate backupexec isn't quite the same as netbackup, but its close enough. IIRC the old reason to use netbackup, was if you needed to backup operating systems other than windows. if just windows, symantec recommend backup exec. That might of changed now though. Anyhoo....

What we like about veeam:

1) Simple to setup - reverse incrementals, nice and simple. One file per vm to restore and to take off-site
2) Using SAN mode backups the performance is very good
3) A quick and simple "catalog" process for DR
4) replication built in (for a slight cost)
5) Support is good
6) Simple to use

The advantages that backup exec gives you is really more superior options for off-site backup, tape support is excellent for example. BackupExec also has powerful agents for SQL, Exchange, Sharepoint, Lotus Notes etc. Veeam can't quite match that yet.

For our SMB customers veeam is a no-brainer over backup exec. However if you want advance features that some agents can provide , you might want to look at the symantec stuff. Or of course - a combination!
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

I use VB to backup vm`s but also use BE2010 R3 to backup our physical SQL and also Exchange Mailboxes then once a week backup *.vbk to tape :) job done!
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

[MERGED] Veeam vs Netbackup

Post by flavor4real »

Hello,
Veeam is a very good product and it seems like that the latest Net-backup version supports the backup of virtual machines. I would like to hear feedback of why a net-backup solution is not feasible and therefore not a good solution to backup virtual machines.

Thanks,
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I have no direct experience with latest releases of Netbackup, but "support for virtual machines" is a really generic feature, you would need to know "HOW" this support works, what features it has and how they are reliable in the field.
Does Netbackup have comparable features like instant recovery, surebackup, san snapshots, to name few of them?

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello DS, Luca,

It is true that NetBackup has the generic feature support for virtual infrastructure, and moreover they moved from VCB to vStorage API finally. (I believe it was done in 7.5 - current is 7.6) Yes they can to full VM backup/restore similar way as all true host based backup vendors do, this could include OS file level restore as well, but in some cases even guest file restore may require “client” (agent) inside.

For the application items restore same picture – you may find a huge list of supported agents that must be preinstalled inside VM in order to provide the ability of application level restores. I believe in 7.6 they added the incremental backup and instant restore – according to some blogs it got WOW effect. Strange for me as Veeam does that for years, and does that really well. SureBackup – nobody does that, so nothing to compare.

Hope that covers a bit NetBackup question - it you need more details please google for NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide.
Cheers.