Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CraigL2112
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Craig L.

Feature Request: Defrag/Compact support for Catalyst Repos

Post by CraigL2112 »

Per support (Case #01868201), I'm requesting the following feature/fix :

Given Veeam does not have Catalyst Copy support, we're forced to use Backup Copy jobs in order to get our backups to a second StoreOnce offsite. Given one major feature of using Catalyst is to get extremely fast synthetic fulls, we've ceased doing active fulls on our backup jobs.

So, on our copy jobs, the full just keeps growing, and growing, and growing.......Obviously, someone at Veeam thought of this, because -->

In the Copy Job properties, under Advanced Settings -> File backup maintenance, there's a tickbox for 'Defragment and compact full backup file' -- perfect, right? Wrong. Selecting it and clicking next yields "Defragment and compact functionality is not supported for backups on HP StoreOnce." (Insert sad trombone sound here)

Manually kicking off an 'Active Full' of the Copy job looks like it's going to do the trick, but I shouldn't have to go in and do this manually. What's the play here? Add in a periodic Active Full to the original backup job?

-Craig
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request: Defrag/Compact support for Catalyst Rep

Post by foggy »

Hi Craig, compact operation is indeed not currently possible on Catalyst due to StoreOnce limitations. However, what you could do is enable GFS retention, since in this case the full backup for the regular chain will be created from actual data each time GFS point is put aside.
CraigL2112
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Craig L.

Re: Feature Request: Defrag/Compact support for Catalyst Rep

Post by CraigL2112 »

Hi Foggy -

Interesting approach. Certainly not perfect but I think it will get the job done.

Thank you. I will bring the issue of the StoreOnce limitations up with HP and see what they say...

-Craig