Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

VM folders?

Post by lando_uk »

Hi

How can I use my VM folders for custom alerts and reports?

The infrastructure view only sees resource pools and the business view only sees the pre-defined groups.

Thanks
Mark
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VM folders?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mark,

You can create Business View groups based on VM folders either via static rules or dynamic expressions. Once you have this configured, you can start using alarms and reports scoped to BV groups/VM folders.

Thanks!
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

Business view groups seems very complicated to setup, I just want to use my existing folders - having to figure out dynamic expressions and all that nonsense seems like something out of the ark...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Try to do that via static rule, should be easier than dynamic groups > https://helpcenter.veeam.com/one/bv/create_rule.html
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

Hi, yeah I managed to figure it out, but to create all our folders will take some time. It'll be good if they were there as default groups out of the box, like datastores etc.

So now I have a group, I also need to figure out how to offer just that dashboard to the business owners. When I create a new dashboard, i'm not seeing the new business view groups I created an hour ago, does it need a restart or something?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, we are already discussing on how to optimize this workflow (groups creation) internally. In order to get new groups, you can either wait or start the synchronization job in Veeam ONE Reporter to get latest updates from Business View.

As for the dashboard display question, you can do that via dashboard sharing/publishing mechanism > Sharing Dashboards

Let me know if that helps!
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

All good, thanks

One last question.

So I created my custom dashboard, used the Overall Health widget that displays green/amber/red. There was one amber warning for the group, but I couldn't find a widget that displays the actual current warning (it was low disk space) - Is the dashboard not capable of displaying the specific issue like the Veeam Monitor app?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, there is no list of all active alarms for the dashboard, as these dashboards are providing a glance overview of the infrastructure. If you want to see all the details, then please right click on the widget and generate a report tied to the widget in question > Creating a Widget Report.

BTW, if you would like to scope dashboards, widgets, reports to particular VMs and given that business owners have access to the vCenter Server (based on the security permissions), you can try to use this feature > About Multi-Tenant Monitoring and Reporting. This will automatically filter out all objects in the reports, widgets, Monitor Client and only display VMs that business owners have permissions to.