Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
david.buchanan
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: David

Veeam/3PAR Storage Snapshot question

Post by david.buchanan »

Hi,

I've read all the helpcenter and guides I can find but I'd like to confirm I've configured my set-up correctly before I go and roll it into production.

Currently I have a HP Blade (BL460c Gen8) connected to our VCM (Virtual connect module) in exactly the same matter as our ESXI hosts (Basically I could install ESXI over the top of Windows and this Blade would work 100%). We use FC to connect to our 3PAR.

This means that I have presented all my ESXi VV (Virtual Volumes) to the Physical blade as well. When I look at Diskmgmt.msc I can see all the LUNs as offline.

My understanding is this is how it's meant to be? Is this correct?

I've configured a test VM and test LUN and Storage Snapshot backups are working correctly with no errors.

The main reason I'm posting here I guess is that I'm not comfortable with all the LUNs being on the Veeam server as offline if it's not needed. But if this is the correct set-up then so be it. This post is more for my piece of mind. :)

Thanks,
David.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam/3PAR Storage Snapshot question

Post by foggy »

The setup looks correct, you should see the volumes on the Veeam B&R server to enable direct access to data.
david.buchanan
Service Provider

Post by david.buchanan »

Thanks Foggy, that's what I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Actually, if you're using backup from storage snapshots only, exporting virtual volumes to the proxy is not required (as it is required for direct SAN transport). If you're not comfortable with exposing the LUNs, registering the proxy with its FC WWN ID on 3PAR is enough. In this case LUNs will be visible in Disk Management during backup operation only (when the snapshot is exported to the proxy).
david.buchanan
Service Provider

Post by david.buchanan »

Thanks Foggy, you are correct. I removed the mapping for the LUN from the Proxy server and the LUN appears only when doing a backup. This is much better. :)

Regards,
David.