Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
soundview
Novice
Liked: never

create new database or not

Post by soundview »

I upgraded my PC From Windows 7 to Windows 10 and created a backup restore point. However, I saw that the incremental backup size was huge which makes sense since this is an entirely new Windows system.

In the interest of efficiency, is it a good idea to reset my backup database via the windows registry and start over from scratch? It seems a waste to keep a backup of an old Windows system that I will never go back to. I plan to keep the old backup on a spare hard drive for the time being until I'm sure I'll never need anything from the old backup files again. I assume though not sure that I am still able to restore from this old database in the unlikely event I need to.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: create new database or not

Post by Dima P. »

Hi soundview,

Database recreation is not required, it safe to use the existing one. You can safely move old backups to another location and start a new backup chain from scratch.
soundview
Novice
Liked: never

Post by soundview »

I didn't know the backup software was smart enough to know to redo a full backup if the data folder is missing. Thanks for making this great product free to use!
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

The job will check the backup location for the entire backup chain. If a single file is missing from that chain or a whole folder, the job will create a full on the next run and begin a new chain.

Cheers!
VMCE v9