Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
justin23
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Justin Watson

endpoint and firewall with virtual IPs

Post by justin23 »

We have our Veeam B&R server (v9 update 1) sitting in a secured environment with firewalls through to the client networks.
One client has 3 physical machines i want to backup with endpoint protection. The firewall configuration uses virtual IP's. We have client interaction proxies that talk fine through the virtual IP's to Veeam B&R server.
I've opened all the relevant ports according to https://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/1 ... ports.html. I can see firewall rule has allowed traffic through.

However when I configure the endpoint to use the server, I use the virtual IP on the client side and default port of 10001, plus the Veeamdomain\Accountname as the user, I get the message "Unable to establish authenticated client-server connection. The server has rejected the client credentials. The logon attempt failed."

Now I know this is doing something as multiple failed attempts and the account locks out yet I unlock it and can use the account with the same password fine on the server. I've even given the account full admin permissions on B&R and no luck.

Any ideas? I read Endpoint Protection doesn't work with NAT, but was wondering if it also has issues using Virtual IP's via a firewall. Like i said the client interaction proxies have no issues.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: endpoint and firewall with virtual IPs

Post by Dima P. »

Hi justin23,

You have to open all ports mentioned in this Help Center article (not only one 10001 port).
Veeam Endpoint Computer - Veeam Backup Server
TCP 10001

Veeam Backup Server - Veeam Endpoint Computer
TCP 9395
TCP 6183