Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
dimmyk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dimitrios Karageorgiou

Minimize monitoring traffic volume [case ID 01876795]

Post by dimmyk »

Hello everyone,

I'm a relatively new customer, and this is my first post on this forum. First of all, i want to say that Veeam Suite is a piece of art. Comgratulations and keep this way!
Now my post is regarding subject case. In short, we have 2 instances of Veeam B&R server v9 and one instance version 8. We installed Veeam ONE v9 with a main objective ro monitor all B&R instances in a single pane.

The problem is that the B&R server of v8 is installed on a remote site, which is connected with HQ through a satellite, volume charged, line (traffic utilization matters). This B&R server is configured as follow :

3 x replication jobs / One VM per job / once a day
2 x Backup / 2 VMs per job / once a day
2 x backup repositories

The problem is that the communication between Veeam ONE and Veeam B&R consumes ~ 50MB per day, which is high for a sat link. In addition, i could not find any way through Veeam monitor to configure this (for example remove some monitoring elements or monitor on large intervals). So :

1/ Is there any way, through configuration, to minimize traffic overhead?
2/ If not, as suggested from support engineer as well, is a "nice to have" - feature request. For example, in my case, it would be more than enough to retrieve only jobs status and duration.

Let me know your thoughts, Thank you

Dimitris
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Minimize monitoring traffic volume [case ID 01876795]

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Dimitrios,

Thanks for the kind words!

To reduce traffic between servers you can change Deployment Configuration setting which is in

Code: Select all

Veeam ONE monitor > Server Settings > "Other settings" tab > click Launch under Support Utility.
You should change "Typical" type to "Advanced".

Also you can set Veeam ONE collection job to run more frequently, that will not reduce amount of transferred data but distribute transmission over the day.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dimitrios,

Not sure I fully understand how you would like to minimize traffic overhead for Veeam B&R server. Do you want to skip some Veeam-backup related data? Most the of traffic comes from jobs stats (task sessions), this data is used in most of the reports. If you need to collect job status and duration, then why not to install Veeam ONE in each site and then just use our web-based dashboards to review the health state of the infrastructure?

Thanks!
dimmyk
Novice

Post by dimmyk »

Although this is a good idea, the plan is to deploy Veeam B&R in a bounch of sites connected through satellite links. Thus a centralized approach is a must.

Thanks,
Dimitris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, can you tell us how many VMs/hosts have to be monitored for each site (branch office) as well or you're interested in "purely" Veeam backup server data?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

I`m also interested if the satellite connection is stable or you have Veeam ONE server disconnected from Veeam B&R server from time to time.
Thanks!
dimmyk
Novice

Post by dimmyk »

That's right, only Backup server data should be monitored.
@Shestakov: It really depends on the type of satellite connection (Bandwindth and delay). In my case, the connection is through Fleet Broandband 500 (~128 kbit with high latency) and the data are retrieved (although disconnections happens). Of course another reason for high data utilization is this (re-transmissions).

Thanks,
Dimitris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

OK, in this case our new data collection mode would come in handy here. We are planning to have "Veeam backup only" data collection mode in Veeam ONE v9.5. This will allow you to minimize transferred traffic between your sites.
dimmyk
Novice

Post by dimmyk »

That sounds great! Thank you once again for your assistance!