Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nokogerra
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Anatoliy Kopylov

Synthetic full backup is not performed

Post by nokogerra »

Hello there.
I got Veeam B&R 9.0.0.902. I`ve noticed that some vms have more than 40 restoration points, however I set to keep only 14 rpoints. Then I look to the points and noticed that there is only one full backup point despite that weekly synthetic full backup job is set.
Now it seems that synthetic full backup is not performed for about half of the backup jobs. The only common thing for all these jobs is that synthetic full backup job is set to perform at saturday. Synthetic backup job is performed successfully for the rest of the backup jobs (at monday, sunday, etc) and for only one backup job (7 vms) at saturday. There are no alarms or errors about that.

P.S. I use forward incremental jobs without active full backup.
P.S.S. There is enough space to create synthetic full backup, the backup repository is 15 TB of total capacity and 9 TB is free.
nokogerra
Enthusiast

Re: Synthetic full backup is not performed

Post by nokogerra »

Hm, I`ve looked into backup job history and noticed that these problem backup jobs is not performed at saturday at all. I guess I messed up with the scheduler.
I set the start time for only single job and another jobs starting then one-by-one, so these jobs which should be performed at saturday is actually performed at sunday. I would really appreciate the advice for configuring the scheduler so there will be no problem with synthetic full backup in the future.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Might be worth getting rid of job chaining and sticking to limiting proxy/repository concurrent tasks number instead. Thanks.
nokogerra
Enthusiast

Post by nokogerra »

Thanks for your reply, I guess I get the point. Will try to mitigate the chaining and set the specific time in the backup jobs option to let auto resource allocation mechanism to handle jobs.

P.S. the main problem is in that job with 7 vms to proceed. Synthetic full backup job for these vms is take about 9-10 hours, I was looking the report about initial active full backup of these vms (to see how much time it took), however there is no that report in the history tab. Despite the session history retention is set to 53 weeks, there are reports for only about 2 months. Why can`t I see the previous reports?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Any chance history was cleaned up after the initial job run? What if you open job's statistics and use left arrow key to go back in time up to the first job run?
nokogerra
Enthusiast

Post by nokogerra »

It is possible to go to the first report with left arrow key, however not all reports are shown in the history tab. Thank you anyway, your tip is helpful.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

nokogerra wrote:P.S. the main problem is in that job with 7 vms to proceed. Synthetic full backup job for these vms is take about 9-10 hours, I was looking the report about initial active full backup of these vms (to see how much time it took), however there is no that report in the history tab. Despite the session history retention is set to 53 weeks, there are reports for only about 2 months. Why can`t I see the previous reports?
If you want to have an ability to report on historical data (even archival), then I would suggest taking a look at Veeam ONE and its predefined reports > Backup Jobs Historical Information