Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dmitri-va
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dmitri

Linux VMs in a vApp are not getting backed-up

Post by dmitri-va »

We have a setup with two backup jobs. One is configured to backup all VMs that are under 'Windows' VM folder, and another to backup all VMs under 'Linux' VM folder.
We just noticed that there are total of 3 vApps containing 3 Linux VMs each, under the 'Linux' folder, that are not getting backed-up. The VMs' notes section does have a veeam note showing the last backup happened at 1/6/2016 on all these VMs. So, something happened after that day that the VMs are no longer backed-up (I'm guessing they may have been added to vApps on that day).

We also have a bunch of vApps containing Windows VMs, and those are getting backed up fine.

We are moving 6 Linux VMs from out of their vApps, so that, hopefully, they will be picked up by the backup job tonight.

It's weird, or it is something very simple we are overlooking here. Any ideas?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Linux VMs in a vApp are not getting backed-up

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Dmitri, what does job session log say on this? Do you see these VMs mentioned there?
dmitri-va
Enthusiast

Post by dmitri-va »

The VMs in those Apps are not mentioned in the backup logs, as if they don't exist, so the backups are reporting success.
dmitri-va
Enthusiast

Post by dmitri-va »

we have moved the VMs out of the vApp containers and they got backed up yesterday night.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I would suggest to review the corresponding backup job log with our support team, as there is no logic to skip Linux VMs in a vApp from processing.
dmitri-va
Enthusiast

Post by dmitri-va »

ok, thank you
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Once you do this, please post your case ID, so that we could update this with a solution for future readers. Thanks!
dmitri-va
Enthusiast

Post by dmitri-va »

sorry for not updating earlier, but the workaround for the original issue was with re-creating the backup jobs. (Case # 01886131)

new development: we just started noticing that some of our VMs are not getting backed up again with no failures in the job logs/notifications. The old issue is back, the VMs placed in vApps are getting skipped as if they don't exist, and it affects Linux and Windows VMs. And we are now on v9.5

I cant believe an issue of that scale has not been researched and addressed yet, or that our environment is so unique only we are experiencing it?

our engineer has opened new case (Case # 02140258), however the tier 1 support was not helpful. Tier 2 advised to install 9.5 update 1 "just in case". Is there even a way to verify our issue is addressed in there?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dmitri, I would suggest to escalate this case to R&D team and do not accept solutions such as recreating backup jobs or upgrading to the most recent version (just in case).
dmitri-va
Enthusiast

Post by dmitri-va » 1 person likes this post

fyi,
apparently this is a known bug which was only known to 3rd tier support :(

here's the support's response:
"According to the logs I think the issue is a known bug that is scheduled to be fixed in update 2 for 9.5. I have a hotfix available we can try. You'll find the Hotfix using the FTP info below. I've also included instructions for applying the fix. If you'd prefer I assist with applying the fix I can do that as well."
The downloaded hotfix was just this file: "Veeam.Backup.ViSoap.dll" with no other bug identifying info.

After about a week of backups, looks like that fix is holding.