Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Feature request: address lists for different job results

Post by Moebius »

There is one feature I'd like Veeam to introduce in a next update.
Currently, there is a common setting dictating that e-mail notifications are to be sent in case of success, warning, and/or failure of the job.
It is not possible to discriminate the behavior on different jobs. But, more important, I miss the possibility of creating different address lists and specify for each one in which case(s) the notifications must be sent.

As a consultant, I manage the installations of several customers. In most cases, I would like to be advised only in case of warning or failure of the job; otherwise, I would be (as I am) getting too many "success" email messages that I have to delete right away. It is just in case of warning or failure that I need to investigate to find out what's happened.
At the same time, I feel it is good for the customer to receive all messages concerning HIS jobs, especially those with a nice "success" stamp on the header. It lets him know that his backup jobs are working as expected and reassures him about the investment he made in the product.

Other backup products (e.g. TSM) allow more flexibility about creating and sending the reports. I hope Veeam will improve this section in the future.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature request: address lists for different job results

Post by veremin »

Currently, it's not possible to send notification mails only in case of certain job status (be it "Warning", "Failed" or "Success"). However, you might want to write a custom PowerShell script that will check the latest job state and send corresponding mail, based on the results it gets. Then, this script can be specified as a post job activity. The following script can be taken as a rough example:

Code: Select all

$Job = Get-VBRJob -name "Name of backup Job"
$LastSession = $Job.FindLastSession()
If ($LastSession.State -ne  "Success") {send e-mail} 
Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

P.S. And your request is noted ;)
fja
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Need feature: send to different mail depending on r

Post by fja »

We have a lot of Veeam job running from different sites a.o. One challenge if to fokus follow-up actions on the right jobs. To ease this it would be a great feature to have 'alarm' mails to go directly to our ticketing system for follow up, while warning and success mails should to to archive mailbox.
We have setup Enterprise Manager as well, but that 'only' allows one overview mail to be configured... For now we have opted to send all mails to ticketing systems - which creates many mails for handling, and also causes some important alarma mails to be missed / archived by mistake..

I suggest to add a option for adding different mail recipient based on different result criteria. Easy way is possible to add optional second (and maybe third) recipient and allow admin to select result types for that recipient. As all would be selectable this should not conflict with existing setup - just enhancing it.

This should be added to
* global settings
* in job settings (all job types!)
* in Enterprise Portal
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks for your feedback. Currently you can achieve that with the help of scripting (see above).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you have Veeam ONE (part of Veeam Availability Suite) deployed, then you can configure it to send email notifications to any/different email address depending on the backup job status.
fja
Enthusiast

Post by fja »

re. Veeam One - I use that for daily summary anyway - so yes it's there.

I can not see how I can setup different mails pr. result.... I can see only one setting set for job summary, and if I deselect summary then I can send mail on each failure, but then I have no option for summary mail.

So - as in merged topic - we urgently need multiple mail options...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Create a data protection alarm, set job Failing or warning status as its trigger and specify needed recipient. More information can be found here. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

fja wrote:I can not see how I can setup different mails pr. result....
Please navigate to alarms management, then select backup/replication job state alarm, switch to Actions tab and then add any recipient you need > Configuring Recipients for Specific Alarms
fja
Enthusiast

Post by fja »

fja wrote:re. Veeam One - I use that for daily summary anyway - so yes it's there....
UPS - my bad. I mixed it up with Enterprise Portal! But yes - we ALSO have Veeam ONE - and actually have not used it much..

Thx for links - I'll try it out
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well...in this case take a look at our Veeam B&R reporting capabilities, I bet you will find lots of useful for you backup-related reports.