Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

Scale-out Option to Stop Next Full Creating on Another Exten

Post by bg.ranken » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

In the scale-out backup repository, the data locality has a section that states "...the next full backup can be created on another extend (except extents backed by deduplicated storage)".

I have two questions:
  • Does this exception for extents backed by deduplicated storage also apply to the performance policy?
  • Is there a way to have this exception extended to Windows repositories, or possibly have a check box added somewhere that would allow us to set whether or not we want the option?
A few scenarios where I could see this being helpful:
  • Someone has two dedup appliances with plenty of space and even though it would waste space, having every other full backup going to a different dedup appliance could provide extra redundancy.
  • For Windows based repositories using Windows deduplication, it would provide the same space savings that the option is giving for deduplicating storage.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Scale-out Option to Stop Next Full Creating on Another E

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Randall,

1. In performance data policies VBK files are already stored separately from the incremental restore points. It can very well be the same extent for all full backups (VBKs), as well as a spare extent. The rule you're referring to is not applied here.
2. Currently, there is no option like this, but thanks for the feedback! It does make sense for Windows repositories with deduplication option enabled.

Thanks!
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Randall,
2. Currently, there is no option like this, but thanks for the feedback! It does make sense for Windows repositories with deduplication option enabled.
Nice one!
bg.ranken
Expert

Post by bg.ranken »

Hi Vitaliy,

Is there any chance that this feature will be added any time soon, perhaps in 9.5 or one of the next patches? I'm setting up our remote backup copy jobs now that are all full of dedup backed Windows repositores and I'd like to use the scale-out repositories for this. However with it not leaving the full backup chain + all full backup files associated with a VM it's not going to work for us.

I just wanted to find out if these messages had been passed on to the devs yet and it might be coming, or it isn't coming and I shouldn't expect it till perhaps version 10 or 11, or never at all.

Let me know.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

We typically implement features based on the number of requests. Your feedback has indeed reached the responsible team, however, we cannot share any ETA for when you can expect it. Definitely not in the upcoming version, since its scope has already been defined.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

I've brought this up with the devs yesterday, and they will try to add this to 9.5 if they have some time left after closing all the outstanding bugs. Otherwise, this feature would have to wait for the following updates. We established that it is not too hard to add. Thanks!
bg.ranken
Expert

Post by bg.ranken » 1 person likes this post

Awesome, thanks a lot Gostev. I'm happy to hear that it at least might be coming some time in the future, if not in 9.5 perhaps in an update to 9.5 or 10 would be fine, I can use regular repositories for now.

With all the changes to Windows dedup in 2016 I could see more people adopting them for backup repositories in the future, so hopefully this isn't just for me.