Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bdoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Bryan

Veeam backup proxy and tape server

Post by bdoe »

I just want to be sure I understand how Veeam would handle this. Currently, my Veeam server is physical, with two tape autoloaders attached. It has 16 threads and 64GB RAM, so resources aren't lacking. It's all connected by 10GbE, so the network isn't slowing it down either.

I need to add more storage to my Veeam setup. Typically, I build Linux servers, add them as Linux repositories, and it all just works. However, this time I need to add another tape drive, and don't have the space on the current system. If I instead add new storage as a Windows system, I know it can become a proxy and do some of the backup processing instead of the server, but what will that buy me in performance. Can it also run tape jobs if the new autoloader is attached?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Veeam backup proxy and tape server

Post by PTide »

Hi,
If I instead add new storage as a Windows system, I know it can become a proxy and do some of the backup processing instead of the server, but what will that buy me in performance.
That depends on the amount of jobs that will use the new proxy. Each concurrent task (virtual drive) processing requires extra 200MB of RAM, also it is recommended to have 1 core per task.
Can it also run tape jobs if the new autoloader is attached?
Yes, if you add it as a tape server in the backup infrastructure.

Thanks