Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
smilem
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: JM

Protect backup with password?

Post by smilem »

Hello, I like the software very much, however I do not understand how come there is no:

1. Backups are not encrypted by AES
2. Backups are not protected by password

Making backups that are not secure is not right, especially if one uses encryption software.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Protect backup with password?

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community!

Although Veeam Endpoint does not provide encryption functionality you can take an advantage of its integration with VBR and use Backup Copy Job that allows you to encrypt backup files.
especially if one uses encryption software.
Could you please elaborate on that?

Thank you.
smilem
Novice

Post by smilem »

VBR or Veeam Backup & Replication v9 - is for virtual machines is it not?
It's sort of management console for server etc.

I don't need that complex systems, I'm talking that Veeam Endpoint backup is used to backup user's PC's not virtual computers.
The on demand backup option is awesome !!!!
There is a need to protect backups if the media is lost, stolen etc. So having passwords is logical step even free software allows this.

As much as I like Veeam over Acronis TrueImage nonsense where every version creates it's own tib file format, I will switch back if AES backup encryption with secure passwords is not going to be implemented ASAP.
smilem
Novice

Post by smilem »

Perhaps it is possible to add this as feature request?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

VBR or Veeam Backup & Replication v9 - is for virtual machines is it not?
You can use VBR repository as a backup target and if you do encryption is available as a part of this integration.
I will switch back if AES backup encryption with secure passwords is not going to be implemented ASAP.
Encryption for standalone VEB users is planned.
smilem
Novice

Post by smilem »

Great news that Encryption will be added, that is huge plus for Veeam Endpoint backup.
You can use VBR repository as a backup target and if you do encryption is available as a part of this integration.
The VBR is not free, it's commercial product and not cheap, how does that have anything to do with what I asked? I want passwords + encryption for my backups. I'm sure others agree too that unsecured backup is a bad idea in corporate environments and home use too. Windows has passwords for same reasons...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Pavel just suggested a workaround that you can apply if you have Veeam B&R (which most of our users already have). Thanks for your feature request though!
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

[MERGED]: Encrypting Backups

Post by bunger »

I have a requirement to encrypt my backups.

I am currently running Veeam B&R 9 on a "backup server" that is backing up 7 servers and encrypting their backups.

I am also use Veeam Endpoint Backup to backup a single physical server and it's destination is the repository on the "backup server."

I found a previous post where this statement was suggested:

However, encryption is set on the backup job inside Veeam B&R and not on the repository and I am not able to determine how I would encrypt the Endpoint backup.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Bill,

You can enable encryption on a ‘repository level’ for VEB jobs thru the Endpoint Backup Permissions window.

mausger
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Martin Ausserwoeger

Post by mausger »

Hi Guys

Encryption for standalone VEB would be great.

Can you say when it will come into the product, or in other words, when can we expect it (Timeline, Version)

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

Backup encryption is a very demanded feature, so stay tuned for product announcements. For instance, upcoming 'NEXT BIG THING' event will shed light on the upcoming major release and its features :wink: