Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ctchang
Expert
Liked: 1 time

Best Practice for v5 Ready? and question regarding an error

Post by ctchang »

Hi Anton,

1. I am wondering if that Best Practice for v5 is Ready? It doesn't have to be looking good, just copy and paste is fine, I am sure everyone just want to get a list of those bullet points for v5 Best Practice. Could you help us to create a brief one please as you are the most knowledge person knows where to grab information and put them into a Veeam Backup Best Practice Bible.

2. Clean install on a physical server with no previous Veeam installed, after restart the server, we found there is ONLY ONE error line, actually it's sort of warning. (Sounds like Veeam is creating some sort of startup log and it took more than 10 secs to complete, so it complains...)

Log file error: Failed to wait mutex logC:UsersAdministratorAppDataLocalVeeamBackupVeeamBackupService.log: timeout 10 sec exceeded

Which Service does it related to? Do I need to use Delay Start for this service as it depends on other service to start first?
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Veeam\Backup\VeeamBackupService.log

How can we solve it please?

Thanks,
ctchang
Expert

Re: Best Practice for v5 Ready? and question regarding an er

Post by ctchang »

I found I can no longer edit my post.

I have another question.

During installation of MSSQL database, it DOES NOT allow me to install to existing instance, instead the installation problem has to create a SEPERATE INSTANCE /servername/VEEAM, why is this anyone know? I am using W2K8R2 64bits, Veeam install program is also 64bits, but how come finally it installed a 32bit MSSQL instance on my server?

Thanks,
Jack
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Jack, we do not have Best Practice document in the works yet. We will create it as soon as we have sufficient information collected about the usage of v5 in real world environments. We need practice before we can create Best Practices ;) however, some best practices pieces that we already known from v4 are being covered in sticky v5 FAQ post that I am currently writing.

For any technical issues, errors or installation problems please contact our support directly, as explained when you click New Topic.

Veeam Backup v5 setup includes SQL 2005 Express, we redistribute it with the product since it is very light-weight (making setup package very small), quick to install, and very robust. SQL 2005 only comes in 32bit version. You are free to download and install any other SQL version (before installing Veeam Backup v5), and point setup to an existing database.
ctchang
Expert

Post by ctchang »

Gostev wrote:Hi Jack, we do not have Best Practice document in the works yet. We will create it as soon as we have sufficient information collected about the usage of v5 in real world environments. We need practice before we can create Best Practices ;) however, some best practices pieces that we already known from v4 are being covered in sticky v5 FAQ post that I am currently writing.

For any technical issues, errors or installation problems please contact our support directly, as explained when you click New Topic.

Veeam Backup v5 setup includes SQL 2005 Express, we redistribute it with the product since it is very light-weight (making setup package very small), quick to install, and very robust. SQL 2005 only comes in 32bit version. You are free to download and install any other SQL version (before installing Veeam Backup v5), and point setup to an existing database.
That's the thing, as we have already got a SQL 2008 64bits running, and somehow the installation program FORCE us to install Veeam Backup DB as a new instance under 32 bits, so we don't have a choice to select really, or is there?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

The choice to point to existing database is there in the setup program.
ctchang
Expert

Post by ctchang »

Gostev wrote:The choice to point to existing database is there in the setup program.
Unfortunately, no, the only choice is /ServerName/Veeam, it's forcing me to install as a new instance and with 32bits SQL server, so after install the mdf and log file went to program files (x86)/mssql/xxxxx folder which is 32 bits.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Please, contact our support for assistance.
ctchang
Expert

Post by ctchang »

I've submit a ticket.

Just another question that I don't want to open a new thread.

1. Can I uninstall Veeam FastSCP now? As I've already installed B&R v5.0 (it doesn't contain FastSCP right?)
2. How come I couldn't use Drag and Drop feature outside the FastSCP windows? I mean I can never just drag a file from c:\ and drop to a VMFS on ESX, strange, is it by design? If yes, better change it and be flexible.

Thanks,
Jack
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

1. Sure, go ahead and delete FastSCP.
2. This functionality was disabled sometime ago, because it was causing some bad issues, and never fixed/enabled back. We will see what it takes to put it back.
ctchang
Expert

Post by ctchang »

One more question regarding Search Server...What does the file restore serach do? Seem I need to install an additional piece of software called Microsoft Search Server in order for that to work.

Do I really need Search Server for restore a file? I found if I do not install search server, then I cannot restore an individual from VM vbk backup, is this true? Sorry haven't got time to read the manual yet.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, you do not need to have a Search Server installed to perform a FLR job. The main purpose of the Search Server is to locate the files you need in the corresponding backup files (VBKs) and rollbacks (VRBs and VIBs). By using search you will exactly know where to find the file required.
ctchang
Expert

Post by ctchang »

I see, so Veeam Search Server sole purpose is for searching the backup image in order to restore a file.

In other words, is there anyway by looking at the file names I can identify them in association with a particular file restore?

Coz I don't want to install too many different servers on my physical machine.

Also I noticed the job is created under say d:\veeam_backup\some.vbk, does different job actually use separate directories/folders under d:\veeam_backup\? If not, then I have no choice but need a Search server in order to identify which is which.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Jack
ctchang
Expert

Post by ctchang »

One more thing, Do we download and install MIcrosoft Search Server Express? (~384MB, a huge file, hope it's not going to slow down my server after installation)

http://www.microsoft.com/enterprisesear ... fault.aspx
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, the search server results will display you the exact job name and the restore point where the file is located.

Every backup job creates it's own VBK file and VRB/VIBs, if you happen to choose the same destination folder for other jobs, then all files will be placed into the main folder, meaning that no other subfolders will be created.

That's right, you need to download Microsoft Search Server Express manually. It shouldn't slow down your backup server performance, however I would recommend installing it on the separete machine as per best practises.

For more information about Search capabilites, please have a look at the User Guide:
http://www.veeam.com/files/guide/veeam_ ... _guide.pdf (Page 158)

Thanks!
Vitaliy