Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ckent
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Cloud Connect - Error: Unstable connection: unable to transm

Post by ckent »

Decided to have another try at using Veeam cloud connect.
during the first backup copy i get a lot of these errors.

Error: Unstable connection: unable to transmit data.
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method

the backup copy will start and transfer a few GB and then just stop.
after some time it will fail with the error above.

i'm running Veeam B&R version 9.0.0.1715
backup from a single host to the Veeam server runs nightly without a hitch.
have over 230 restore points with any issues.

no apparent network issues.
everything seems solid.

the backup copy just stops.
ckent
Enthusiast

Re: Cloud Connect - Error: Unstable connection: unable to tr

Post by ckent »

As a comparison i spun up a windows server and made it a backup destination.
created an a second backup copy job and started it.

the test job is running at a solid 100MB/s with out any delays or issues.

Backup Copy to cloud

Backup Copy to windows server

the only differences between he two is one is using the local network and the other is going out over our net connection and the destination storage.
concerning the net connection my firewall is showing the same traffic pattern as the backup copy job.

all these really leaves is the cloud connect storage...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'd like to add my two cents - there is no universal term as "cloud connect storage", since Service Providers are free to leverage whatever system they are willing to. As you could imagine, those differ dramatically in terms of speed, performance, etc. So, in the end of the day it all comes to finding the one suiting your needs best. Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Also, the backup copy to cloud connect shows up as incremental, means you completed successfully a full backup first, or it was uploaded to the service provider using seeding?

As Vladimir said, different providers use different solutions to run Cloud Connect, is this always the same service provider, or you tried different ones? Many of our providers in almost any region offer trial periods, so you can safely do your tests before subscribing.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
ckent
Enthusiast

Post by ckent »

v.Eremin wrote:I'd like to add my two cents - there is no universal term as "cloud connect storage", since Service Providers are free to leverage whatever system they are willing to. As you could imagine, those differ dramatically in terms of speed, performance, etc. So, in the end of the day it all comes to finding the one suiting your needs best. Thanks.
im not too demanding all i require of a cloud connect partner is that your solution works with their back end.
Otherwise what's the point of it all. ?
ckent
Enthusiast

Post by ckent »

dellock6 wrote:Also, the backup copy to cloud connect shows up as incremental, means you completed successfully a full backup first, or it was uploaded to the service provider using seeding?
or could it have been the first attempt failed due to poor hardware used by the SP and this was a 2nd attempt at the same job ?
ckent
Enthusiast

Post by ckent »

dellock6 wrote:As Vladimir said, different providers use different solutions to run Cloud Connect, is this always the same service provider, or you tried different ones? Many of our providers in almost any region offer trial periods, so you can safely do your tests before subscribing.
i am now on my third cloud connect partner and to be frank its getting all a bit boring.
i was going to ask why Veeam let SP's make such a hash of their product.
But then i realised Veeam are no better at it themselves.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I understand that perception is reality, and your experience with Cloud Connect is really bad so far, and I'm sorry for this, but I can't accept the last comment, sorry we are good at it, otherwise we would not have more than 1000 service providers using it and tens of thousands of VM protected by Cloud Connect.
Have you tried to open a support ticket with Veeam? Probably through the logs we can better understand what's happening...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'm along the same lines with Luca here. A support case that has all required logs attached will allow us to find out the root cause and probably resolve your frustration. Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

dellock6 wrote:Probably through the logs we can better understand what's happening...
Well, the issue is pretty clear to me from the summary error in the first post and that is unstable internet connection. While the fact that experience is the same across 3 different service providers tells me that the issue is likely with the OP's ISP itself? Sounds like some thorough wiresharking is due!

It's not really a big news that Veeam commonly uncovers previously unknown infrastructure issues by moving large amounts of data through said infrastructure, all while being blamed for poor stability that is the direct result of those issues ;) this happens all the time!
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Post by ober72 » 1 person likes this post

ckent wrote:i am now on my third cloud connect partner and to be frank its getting all a bit boring.
i was going to ask why Veeam let SP's make such a hash of their product.
But then i realised Veeam are no better at it themselves.
I think that you have a "hash" in your networking. What is a hash anyways? :)

Joking aside I have a very large number of backup copy jobs coming into our Cloud Connect, clients who have good network connections have no problems.

As for Veeam, well I would correct Luka, they are not good they are EXCELLENT, and believe me I have worked with a lot of backup software products and companies.
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend