Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bahooo
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: bahadir selin

SQL Backup without Application Aware and VSS

Post by bahooo »

Hi,
I am curious what happens when I do not choose Application Aware. Because in my current backup, I unselected application aware feature. But the question is that normally, if I do not select VSS and backup SQL, it should show me an error which is not backed up the data. But, now, it is working well and even no warning.
I know that I cannot restore table data or any specific things. I do not care, when I need to restore something, I will restore entire VM.

So, the question is that I didn't test whether or not I can restore my entire SQL VM. Is there anybody else who tested to restore SQL VM without app aware feature?

thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: SQL Backup without Application Aware and VSS

Post by Gostev »

Hi, you should be able to restore in most cases, because SQL Server is designed to withstand power loss (which is what crash-consistent backups is similar to). The only implications are that the chance for failed restore is slightly higher from such backups (so you want to be using SureBackup jobs for recovery verification), plus Microsoft may not support you in case of issues (because backup was created without VSS). For these reasons, I recommend doing VSS restore points at least periodically. Thanks!
bahooo
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: bahadir selin

Post by bahooo »

Thanks for explanatory reply.
-=MACROS=-
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rodion Fedin

Post by -=MACROS=- »

The thing is, if you restore you sql server (and you will restore successfully) your sql server will bring event that not commited transactions will be rollbacked (you will lose entire information). So if you do not have specific SLAs commitet for this application, you can backup only in crash consistent mode.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk