Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
vlent
Novice
Liked: never

Restore Endpoint backup to VMDK

Post by vlent »

Hello,

I've been using Veeam for a while now and I like it alot.

Now I have a been using Veeam Endpoint backup with a B&R 9 Repository and want to restore a machine to my ESX environment for test purpose.
The machine has a 2 TB disk (with only 200 GB filled) and the ESX datastore is only 1 TB. I can restore the machine but I want to be abble to change te size of the disk. Is this possible? The best way should be changing the size when restoring to the ESX environment.

With kind regards,
S
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Restore Endpoint backup to VMDK

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Yes, it is possible to change the size of the volume. Also you might want to export the backup as .vmdk disk and convert it from thin to thick format, so it takes lesser space on the datastore.

Thanks
vlent
Novice
Liked: never

Post by vlent »

Does this mean that I have to create a new VM with Windows and install Veaam Endpoint backup, restore the disks?

What I did before was a restore from B&R 9 (Export disk contents as virtual disks) and thats it. There is no option to resize the disk.

thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

What I did before was a restore from B&R 9 (Export disk contents as virtual disks) and thats it.
Due to the datastore size limit you'll have to export disk to some intermediate storage first, then convert it to thick format, and then spin up a VM from it.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

vlent wrote:Does this mean that I have to create a new VM with Windows and install Veaam Endpoint backup, restore the disks?
Not exactly, you can directly restore volume to the vSphere datastore, it will automatically make it a VMDK without a staged server. Please take a look at step 5 in this wizard. Once you've done that you can resize your virtual disk/disk volume via Windows OS built-in tools.
oyvindo
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Oyvind Overby

Post by oyvindo »

I'm not sure if my own experience is relevant, but I made a complete volume backup of a 500Gb HDD (consisting of three different sized partitions), and was able to successfully restore the whole volume, including all three partitions to 120Gb SSD drive. But I had to resize each partition to make them fit. It was tricky, and not very intuitive how to do, but in the end it did work.