Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
boamek
Lurker
Liked: never

Database Size Requirements

Post by boamek »

Are there any specifics on what to expect for the size of the Veeam backend database?

I'm assuming the bigger your environment, the bigger the database, so along the same line is there a way to estimate this?

IE if I have 10 ESX hosts and 80 VMs can expect my database to be ? MB
If I have 100 ESX Hosts and 1200 VMs I can expect my database to be ? MB
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Database Size Requirements

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Brian,

Yes, you're absolutely right, the size of the database heavily depends on the size of the infrastructure and the time you monitor your virtual environment. By default Veeam Monitor has a 1 year retention policy to keep performance data in the SQL databse.

Let me double-check the estimated figures for your examples with our R&D team. I will update the topic, as soon as I have the results.

Thanks!
Vitaliy
mhanbury
Novice
Full Name: Matthew Hanbury

Post by mhanbury »

Had V5 running for a few weeks now after upgdading from V4.5 we had a SQL database around 5GB with the years worth of statistics on 65 ESX hosts and just under 400 VM's. The V5 database has now grown to over 45GB in just a few weeks.

Would appreciate it if Veaam could post some SQL database sizing guidelines.

Thanks

Matt
mhanbury
Novice

Post by mhanbury »

Also noticed V5 does hit the SQL server quite a bit harder. Is there a way of altering the statistics collected and to reduce the data retention period?

Thanks

Matt
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Matt, could you tell me if the database keeps growing for you or not? Also could you tell me what retention policy (for both real time performance and aggregated data) you would like you use?
mhanbury
Novice

Post by mhanbury »

Hi,

Yes the database is still growing? What are the defaults and how can I reduce the retention policy for realtime and aggregated data?

Thanks

Matt
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Matt,

The default retention policy for keeping aggregated data is one year. You may adjust those settings through the support utility which comes with Monitor installation, please refer to our technical team (support@veeam.com) to guide you through the proper steps of reducing the retention policy.

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello All,

Here are the results of our own database size test in the labs, please note that those figures might differ from yours depending on the amount of events, alarms and past performance data available:

100 hosts / 1200 VMs / 100 datastores = approximately 55-60 GBs + the size of the transaction log
10 hosts / 80 VMs / 10 datastores = approximately 6-8 GBs + the size of the transaction log

P.S. if you want us to help you with the database size estimates, feel free to contact our support team for assistance directly.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just wanted to update this topic that we've now got a Veeam Monitor Database Sizing Calculator available on the Monitor homepage under Resources section.