Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
russ_2012
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Windows 10 Update disabled Veeam B&R V9 U1

Post by russ_2012 » 1 person likes this post

This issue is partially resolved with a workaround, uninstalling the affecting Windows update

tl;dr Windows 10 Update KB3172729-Security Update broke Veeam. Uninstalling update fixed Veeam. Did I do this right? Is there a better method or workaround. Or even a running Veeam guide on Windows 10

System:
Windows 10 1511 (November Release), its a Dell desktop
Veeam B&R Version 9 U1 (I know U2 was just released, its scheduled for install after this server's monthly backup at the end of the month)
Veeam backs up a ESXi 5.1 host to a Synology NAS.

The backup job is set to perform on weekdays, last successful backup was Friday as normal. I installed the Windows updates on Sunday, at that time I could access Veeam.
On Tuesday it was noticed that Monday's backup was not performed. Looking into Veeam it could seen that the job was not even attempted nor were there any errors. A reboot of the server was performed.

To start Veeam, the service named "SQL Server Agent (VEEAMSQL2008R2)" has to be started then this service automatically starts the service "SQL Server (VEEAMSQL2008R2)". Normally there are no issues but this
time when I started the Agent service it would start the SQL Server but after I refreshed the Services page the service SQL Server Agent would be not running nor could I access the Veeam interface.
I figured that it was most likely one of the Windows updates installed on Sunday.
KB3176493-Cumulative Update
KB3172729-Security Update for Windows 10 1511
KB890830-Monthly Windows Malicious Tool Removal
KB3174060-Security Update for Adobe Flash Player
I proceeded to uninstall the updates one by one moving down the list, rebooting after each uninstall. Uninstalling the first one, KB3176493, did not resolve the issue.
Uninstalling KB3172729 did resolve the issue. I was then able to start SQL Server Agent and have it stay running. I then accessed Veeam and retried the backup and it worked, or more literly its currently running.

Did I do this right? Is there a official workaround or semi official workaround to allow me to install the affecting update?
Or even a guide to running Veeam on Windows 10? I read on Microsoft that SQL 2008 R2 is not supported on Windows 10 but this computer is the only thing available we have right now.

Appreciate the help
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Windows 10 Update disabled Veeam B&R V9 U1

Post by Gostev »

Are you using SQL Express?
ccatlett1984
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Chris Catlett

Post by ccatlett1984 »

if your using express, you should upgrade to sql express 2012 at least I'd go to sql 2014, also be sure to install both the latest service pack and cumulative update.
russ_2012
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by russ_2012 »

Sorry for the delay.

No we are not using express. We are using the sql that comes with Veeam, sql 2008 r2.
Pat490
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Patrick

Post by Pat490 » 1 person likes this post

as far as i know... what comes with Veeam... is SQL Express!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

And MS doesn't support running SQL 2008 R2 on Windows 10 OS, so, can you update your SQL installation and see whether it fixes the issue? Thanks.
pbarrette
Novice
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Peter Barrette

Post by pbarrette » 1 person likes this post

Also note that you have your service dependencies backwards:
The "SQL Server Agent" service is dependent upon the "SQL Server" service.

Which means that SQL Agent will not run unless SQL Server is running first. This is because the SQL Agent service relies on the [MSDB] database, which isn't available unless the SQL Server is running.

Also note that you're using SQL Server Express. This means that the "SQL Server Agent" service should be disabled, since a (free) SQL Express license doesn't support using the "SQL Agent" service. So, with the SQL Express that comes with Veeam, you will never be able to make the "SQL Server Agent (VEEAMSQL2008R2)" service run.

In short, there's no problem. The "SQL Server Agent (VEEAMSQL2008R2)" service will not ever run and that's by design.