Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MStraet
Service Provider
Liked: never

Backup Copy job

Post by MStraet »

Hello,

I am facing an issue I do not know how to solve. This is the situation:

A customer of mine has a VMware infrastructure that is about 12.5 TB big. They have the following jobs configured:

Backup Job

Backup to a local QNAP
8 restore points
Synthetic full on Satureday

Backup Copy Job
Backup to a remote QNAP (in the same building)
7 Restore points

Now the customer wants an offsite backup they can save somewhere remote. So they bought 2 new QNAP's and they want to do the following.
Every last sunday of the month they want a full backup to that QNAP. When the backup is done they turn off the QNAP and take it offsite and place another QNAP for the following month.
Is this even possible? Would I need to setup a new Backup job that just runs on the last sunday of the month or would it be better to set a Backup Copy Job that keeps restore points for archival purposes?

Thanks in advance!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy job

Post by veremin »

Is this even possible?
Sure, it is.
Would I need to setup a new Backup job that just runs on the last sunday of the month or would it be better to set a Backup Copy Job that keeps restore points for archival purposes?
It's up to you to choose between backup or backup copy job. In the former case the load would be put on production storage, as the data would be read from it. In the later - on local repository (local QNAP).

Also, either way you will need to enable this option in the setting of remote repository.

Thanks.
MStraet
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by MStraet »

Thank you for the answer.

Would these settings be correct if I were to choose one of the backup options. I would only need 1 RP for the full backup, correct?

Backup job

Copy job
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If they need just a single full every last sunday of the month and QNAP is added as CIFS share, with the backup copy job you would need to set the copy interval to some big value (e.g. 99 days), script the backup copy job sync now command for every last Sunday of the month (via Windows Scheduler) and perform cleanup of existing backups prior to that. Backup copy job will create full backup on each run, no need to enable GFS.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Would these settings be correct if I were to choose one of the backup options. I would only need 1 RP for the full backup, correct?
You can set whatever number you want, just make sure to specify correct schedule for it (schedule: monthly -> Last Sunday, active full periodically: monthly -> Last Sunday). Thanks.