Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mobamoba
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Force merge

Post by mobamoba »

How do I force a merge with a backup where I no longer have access to the original database? Here's how that happened:
I have a backup for a Windows computer I'll Backup1 which has a merge cycle of 14 incremental backups.
I had to do a full Windows reinstall of the Backup1 computer, the type where it creates a brand new Windows directory and you have to reinstall all your programs (yes, the worst kind).
After that was done, I then created a new Endpoint backup - Backup2.
I'd now like to archive Backup1 as a single merged backup rather than 14 different pieces. Is there a way to do this without having to do something painstakingly time consuming like doing a full volume restore of the old Windows, merging Backup1, then restoring the new Windows?
Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Force merge

Post by Dima P. »

Hi mobamoba,

Unfortunately, it's impossible to force the merge of existing chain when operating system was reinstalled. If you have a VM (or old computer) bare metal restore from the backup and then reducing the number of restore points to keep sound like a possible workaround.
chaycock
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Carlton Haycock

Post by chaycock »

That would be a good idea for a new feature request...a merge utility to handle just this type of scenario.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks - vote counted!