Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mplep
Service Provider
Liked: never

Veeam Location & Performance

Post by mplep »

Hi,

I currently have v5 sitting at the DR site and connecting in VA mode over 100MB iSCSI to our live vSphere hosts. I'm going to utilise replication for all VM's and was wondering whether the Veeam server might be better located at the live site for performance reasons. I understand that a total loss of the live site (including Veeam) would still enable me to fire up the latest replicas in DR, but would performance improve for replication and processing with Veeam on the live site but replicating everything straight to DR?

I've looked through some previous posts but am still not clear on this circumstance.

Thanks in advance

Mark
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam Location & Performance

Post by Gostev »

Hi Mark, with such connectivity and given that you have ESX 4.x on source site, placing the server in the target site is a great option. The only drawback of placing Veeam server in a target site is missing replica seeding functionality, which is not really required with such connection speed. Everything is is a benefit. Thanks!
mplep
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by mplep »

Hi Gostev. Thanks for the info. Can you perhaps elaborate on how the transfer occurs with ESXi source and target with replication. Does the traffic flow directly host to host or via Veeam?

Thanks

Mark
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Mark, it goes via Veeam server.