Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tioga
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Scudder

All backups fail on fresh 2008R2 Server

Post by tioga »

I am attempting to evaluate Veeam Endpoint Backup for our needs. I have a server on an air-gapped (not to be connected to the internet) network running vendor-supplied software, which requires Windows Server 2008R2 SP1. I have a fresh install of Server 2008R2 SP1 installed a few weeks ago, with just the vendor software and SQL Server 2008R2 Standard installed.

I've installed Veeam Endpoint Backup, and attempted to set it up to backup to various targets. No matter what I do, the backup stops a few seconds after starting with the error:
Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8004230f]
Some Googling revealed that Endpoint can throw this error if a VSS writer has timed out, and the suggested solution is to use NET STOP and NET START with the writer name to restart the writer. However, I have writers with spaces in their names, and the NET command doesn't recognize them, even in quotes.

The bigger issue is that all my writers are "stable" before Endpoint starts a backup, and then 10 out of 15 writers immediately go to Failed/Timed Out when Endpoint tries to back up. The only way to reset them is to reboot the server, at which point Endpoint kills the writers again.

I asked Veeam support on Twitter about it, and they told me to "log a support call through the Endpoint UI." Veeam's support website essentially forces me to do the same thing. But, as I said, this server is on an air-gapped server which is not permitted to access the network. When I start to fill out the support dialog in the UI, predictably, it tells me it can't access the internet.

To answer some potential questions: We're not supposed to apply updates to this server beyond SP1; yes VSS is turned on, the error is the same with VSS turned on or turned off; the error is the same whether using the Administrator account or another account that is a member of the Administrators (or Backup Operators) group; I have tried the full system and full volume backup types, because that's what I need; I have tried setting my backup target both to an SMB share on another local server on the network and a USB-connected 4TB hard disk.

I had high hopes for Veeam Endpoint Backup, and perhaps moving to a paid solution in the future, but I'm not getting a really good customer service experience from Veeam. They seem more concerned with someone accidentally getting good service outside the UI. I guess if someone here can't get it working I'll need to look elsewhere for a backup solution.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: All backups fail on fresh 2008R2 Server

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mark,

Kindly open a support case. If your affected machine is not connected to the internet you can use any other installed VEB to open a case and then supply our support folks with the correct set of logs. Please post the case ID to this thread for further reference. Thanks.
tioga
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Scudder

Post by tioga »

How do I supply the logs for the airgapped server? Won't the copy of VEB I use to open the support case send its own logs?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Indeed, logs will be attached from the machine you are using to open a support case. You just need to notify support folks that these logs are irrelevant and then share the correct ones from the affected machine. You can found them in C:\ProgramData\Veeam directory