Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
emjaydee
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Douglas

Restore Priority

Post by emjaydee »

As a relative Newbie to Veeam and VMware, I was recently given the task of upgrading Veeam B&R in a VMware 5.5 environment from v7u4 to v9u1. The environment uses an incremental scheme and I knew that backups were going to take much longer than usual to complete given the CBT reset. In the end it took 64 hours for all the backup jobs to complete successfully. No big deal as I performed the upgrade over the weekend to maximum the downtime and lack of users. However, as the upgrades ran into Monday and the Veeam server was maxed out completing the backups it got me wondering - what happens if I need to restore a VM or even just a file from a VM? if the server is working flat out to complete backups do restores have any form of priority? If not, is it possible to allocate a priority? In this scenario, are restores slower than if the Veeam server is not running any backups?

Fortunately, the issue didn't arise this time and lessons learned from this upgrade will help to minimize this possibility in the future but it would be good to know if priority is given to a restore over any backup or replication jobs that are currently running. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Restore Priority

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Mark and welcome to the community!

Indeed restore jobs have the highest priority. To make it simple to remember the rule is next:
Restore jobs > Primary backup (backup & replication jobs) > Secondary (copy jobs, tape jobs).

If you perform restore job while backup backup job is running, the restore may(if backup job prevents the restore operation) cancel backup jobs with UI notification.
Thanks!
emjaydee
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Douglas

Post by emjaydee »

Thanks for the quick response your answer is what I was hoping for. In this case I had four backup jobs running at any one time, two or three of which were creating synthetic backups at the end of the job while the remainder were copying files. From your response it looks like I will be able to cancel any queued jobs or jobs copying files to free up server resources - the last thing I wanted to do was cancel a job while it was creating the synthetic backup! Thanks again!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome, Mark!
Once you have a question, don`t hesitate asking!
reaperhammer
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Will S

Post by reaperhammer »

I second this request, more options about what jobs are currently using what resources and what is required to run the restore then select what jobs to suspend/cancel for the restore to run would be ideal.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Will,
Could you describe your use case, please?
Thanks!