Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Corrupt Backup Chain, Can I Rebuild It?

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

I have just noticed that a machine has done a Full Backup without doing another Incremental, starting a completely new Backup Chain and deleting the old one for some reason. This means we have "lost" all the older backups (the old Incrementals and Full Backup are still there).

Is there a way to rebuild the Chain so we can retain the history?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Corrupt Backup Chain, Can I Rebuild It?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,
deleting the old one for some reason
That does not sound right. Even if you chain was corrupted for some reason VEB should not delete backup files. Please open a case and share the case ID
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Might be stupid to ask, but what's the retention policy for your job?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Dima P. wrote:That does not sound right. Even if you chain was corrupted for some reason VEB should not delete backup files. Please open a case and share the case ID
Sorry, perhaps bad English but it is the old Chain File that is being deleted with the new one (overwritten because it has the same name?). The backups are still there, just not "attached" to a chain file, which makes them useless for future backups.
Vitaliy S. wrote:Might be stupid to ask, but what's the retention policy for your job?
40 "days", as that is all that can fit on a 1TB USB drive. As the drives are rotated daily (there are 5 of them) the backups actually go back to the start of this year. It is this backup "history" that I really want to keep because if they have corrupt or deleted files and they don't notice it for several months (because they haven't opened it during that time) then we can go back to an earlier non-corrupt or non-deleted version. We have been caught out in the past because they sometimes don't notice for 6 months that they're missing files.

As they have four other 1TB USB drives with the required data on them I'm not panicking, but it would be nice to be able to rebuild a chain file if it is possible.
Django
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Can

Post by Django »

Hello AlexLeadingEdge,

I got filesystem errors on my attached USB-HDDs. Do you have windows 10 fast startup mode enabled?
please have a look veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/windows-10-fa ... ml#p206871
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Hi Django,

We set "Hibernate after" to "Never" but I notice that on this computer "Allow hybrid sleep" is set to "On". I will consider setting it to "Off" but I don't know what repercussions this may have, such as a power failure overnight.
Django
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Can

Post by Django »

Hi Alex,

I recommend you to go to your energyoptions under windows if you want to disable the hibernate mode.

Just to be sure it's not the fast Startup's fault.

Kind regards.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

I have encountered this again today, the Chain File appears to have lost the Full Backup but most (if not all) of the incrementals are there. Starting a new backup starts a Full Backup and loses all the incrementals, which means I will have to manually delete all the files older than today.

Ticket #01964281

Code: Select all

1/11/2016 4:57:05 AM :: Full backup file merge failed Error: File does not exist. File: [X:\VeeamBackup\Backup Job PPMU\Backup Job PPMU2016-09-06T050739.vbk]. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{0b8781d1-a2f4-465b-a06a-787ae3b3a369}]. CHMOD mask: [0]. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText}.