Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
obrienr
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Richard O Brien

Tape GFS for Backup Copy Jobs

Post by obrienr »

Hi,

I hope someone can clarify, are Backup Copy Jobs supported as a source for Tape GFS Jobs ?

I have a number of backup copy jobs added to a Tape GFS Jobs, via a backup repository.

One of the source jobs work OK, the others return the message,

Code: Select all

[CTapeSynStorageReplacer] Skipping virtual full storages creation, because no backup files were created in repository today and option UsePreviousStoragesForTodaySynDate has set to false
[28.08.2016 17:00:21] <01> Info     [CTapeSynStorageReplacer] Found candidates:<Empty>
[28.08.2016 17:00:21] <01> Info     [CTapeBackupTask] Task <> retry required by the following reason: No GFS candidate for Weekly media set was found for today, waiting
I cannot see an option to alter UsePreviousStoragesForTodaySynDate.

Thanks for your feedback,
Richard.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape GFS for Backup Copy Jobs

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Richard,

Yes, backup copy jobs are supported as a source for tape GFS jobs. Can you clarify, what is the state of the backup copy job in the question? Any chance it's still synchronizing the latest restore point?
obrienr
Novice

Post by obrienr »

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me.

Yes, there is a possibility that some of the backup copy jobs in the SOBR maybe merging etc. The Tape jobs starts outside of the Backup Copy sync schedule, so I would not expect any sync'ing to be happening.

Could a merge affect the ability of the GFS Tape job to backup ?

Thanks,
Richard.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Do GFS tape job and Backup Copy Jobs take place on the same day or on different ones? As to UsePreviousStoragesForTodaySynDate, it looks more like a regkey that can be found normally in HKLM\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication. Thanks.
obrienr
Novice

Post by obrienr »

Hi,

Yes, we have Backup Copy running everyday, Tape GFS Weekly starting on a Saturday.

Will have a look at the REG key.

Thanks for the feedback,
Richard.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

So, tape GFS took place on Saturday at the time when all source backup copy jobs had already created their restore points. Even thought those points existed, they were skipped by the GFS tape job. Right?

If so, the described behaviour looks unexpected, so reach our support team directly.

Also, I'm wondering what happened at the end of the day. The GFS tape job didn't try to retry or copy restore point created on Friday (due to the said regkey being specified)?

Thanks.
obrienr
Novice

Post by obrienr »

Eremin,

I had not tweaked the Reg Entry, I see the following entries for a backup copy job,

Code: Select all

03/09/2016 00:00:29 :: Building source backup files list started at 03/09/2016 00:00 
03/09/2016 00:00:30 :: No GFS candidate for Monthly media set was found for today, waiting 
03/09/2016 00:00:30 :: Source backup files detected. VBK: 0, VBK map: 0, VIB: 0 
04/09/2016 00:06:58 :: No restore point for 03/09/2016 is available for virtual full backup, using previous restore point for 02/09/2016 [/i]
So it recognises the most recent candidate is September 2nd, but then does not back it up, as per the previous log extract.

I will change the Reg Entry and try again.

Thanks for your feedback,
Richard.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Looks unexpected indeed, try to explicitly set the given key to True and see whether it changes anything. If not, open a ticket with our support team. Thanks.
obrienr
Novice

Post by obrienr » 1 person likes this post

Guys,

The registry tweak has worked, Tape GFS jobs are now processing fine.

Thank you for all you feedback.

Richard.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It might be interesting to know who's implemented the given key originally. By default, it should not be present in the registry at all.

Anyway, glad to hear that you're up and running now.

Thanks.