Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
VanillaMastermind
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: VanillaMastermind

Best practices for database backup of Veeam Config database?

Post by VanillaMastermind »

I noticed that by default in B&R V9, there does not appear to be anything performing a backup of the Veeam configuration SQL Server database "VeeamBackup", or any of the SQL Server system databases on the same instance. Is it recommended to manually create a native SQL job to back these databases up? I was going to back these up to a network share, but I noticed that the the SQL Server service runs under "NT Authority\NetworkService", which wouldn't have access to a network share. If it is recommended to do a SQL level backup, is it safe to change the SQL Server service account to use the Veeam admin account so I can write to the network?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Best practices for database backup of Veeam Config datab

Post by veremin »

Creating configuration backup regularly should be enough. Additional information regarding backup server protection can be found here. Thanks.
VanillaMastermind
Enthusiast

Without backing up the local SQL instance running the Veeam configuration, wouldn't we be in trouble if something happened to the SQL instance? Wouldn't I have problems trying to restore the native Veeam configuration backup if the SQL instance didn't work?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can restore Veeam B&R configuration to any other SQL Server instance and proceed with backups/restores. Configuration backup contains all the required data.
VanillaMastermind
Enthusiast

foggy wrote:You can restore Veeam B&R configuration to any other SQL Server instance and proceed with backups/restores. Configuration backup contains all the required data.
Great! I didn't realize that and thought Veeam required a local instance. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, the detailed description of both restore and migration procedures can be found here. Thanks.