Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Backup copy resume backup if the job runs out of the window?

Post by csinetops »

I just want to verify this is how Backup Copy jobs work. I have a VM with a very large disk of 3.2 TB. If the backup copy job doesn't finish in it's 24 hour window, it will fail but then pick up copying that disk where it left off, correct?

Also, can you process more than one disk at a time in a Backup Copy job? I've had copy jobs running on smaller VM's and never really looked at the jobs until thsi larger VM and noticed its only processing one disk at a time. It would make the job run much faster if it would process more than one disk at a time.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup copy resume backup if the job runs out of the win

Post by veremin »

If the backup copy job doesn't finish in it's 24 hour window, it will fail but then pick up copying that disk where it left off, correct?
Correct.
I've had copy jobs running on smaller VM's and never really looked at the jobs until thsi larger VM and noticed its only processing one disk at a time.
Was it a direct or WAN Accelerated backup copy job?

Thanks.
csinetops
Expert

Post by csinetops »

It's a direct job from our primary backup storage to our NetApp AltaVault, No WAN accelerators used.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

In case of direct data transfer, VM disks are processed in parallel (Veeam B&R starts one data mover per source disk to retrieve and transfer data to the target data mover). If per-VM backup chain option enabled, Veeam B&R starts one target data mover for each VM and at this stage each VM disks are sequentially written to the target storage.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In this case, the said behaviour looks unexpected, as VMs should have been processed in parallel, as Foggy's said. So, it might be worth reaching our support team and letting them investigate it directly. Thanks.
csinetops
Expert

Post by csinetops »

Hey v.Eremin, let me clarify. The VM's are processed in parallel during the job but unlike a normal backup job the disks are processed one by one. I'm sure that is by design and for a reason. It would however be nice on bigger jobs where we have a VM with 4 2+TB drives to process more than one at a time to speed up the job.Just a observation. :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

As I've mentioned above, VM disks should be processed in parallel (unless, for example, the concurrent tasks limit comes into play).