Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HFX902
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: ksmith

Question Proxy Servers

Post by HFX902 »

Hi All,

We are currently running veeam 9.0 B&R, our current backup proxy is sitting on the veeam server , so local to the machine.

Im currently setting up a new vm server 2012 to become our new proxy server. 8GB ram

My question for the community. is there a limit to how many proxy servers I can point to veeam? Is more better?

Will the local proxy still share the load?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question Proxy Servers

Post by foggy »

The number of proxy servers is not limited, you can have as many proxies as you need to cope with the backup load you're assigning to them. All existing proxies share the load, depending on the transport mode settings and proxy selection algorithm specified in the job settings (automatic, by default).
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Question Proxy Servers

Post by dellock6 »

I just want to add that more may not be better. There are limits in different parts of the environment that you may hit if you overprovision the proxies, for example the production environment may be to stressed by the excess of reads, or the backup repositories because of the amount of writes.
My small suggestion is to start small and grow afterwards, by looking at the performance of the backups, the overall time, and the load on the different components.

Also, you may want to read more design information in our Best Practice guide, you can read it online at http://bp.veeam.expert

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Lalegre
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Leandro Alegre

[MERGED] Maximum Backup proxies

Post by Lalegre »

Hello,

I have a single doubt, how much backup proxies can be configured per veeam server?

Thanks you
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Maximum Backup proxies

Post by veremin »

The product itself does not have any limitation for this matter - just don't forget that each proxy server should meet system requirements. By the way, how many proxy server are you willing to deploy? Thanks.