Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
hakimbhungra
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: hakimbhungra

Requirement for replication

Post by hakimbhungra »

Hi,

Currently I'm doing the POC for veeam backup and replication and I just want to know do we require to install veeam backup server on disaster site as well if I need to replicate virtual machine ti DR site, if yes then please let me know what is the use of it.
In my current setup I have near about 100 virtual machine and I'm planning to replicate entire virtual machine to DR site so please recommend the best scenario for this requirement.

Regards,
Hakim. B
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Requirement for replication

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

Hi, Hakim.

Backup server can be installed either in production or in DR site. It’s completely up to you.

Having backup server at DR site is not a requirement, but rather a recommendation. Typically, it’s advisable to deploy primary or additional instance of VB&R in your DR site and set it responsible for remote replication jobs only. Thus, should need be (your primary site goes down, for instance), special operations like Failover, Failback can be smoothly started from there.

Additionally, if you’re concerned with traffic saving, it might be worth deploying backup proxy at both ends (one closer to production and one to DR site). Having proxies at both ends allows replication data to cross the existing link in highly-compressed and deduplicated state, etc.

Thanks.
hakimbhungra
Influencer
Full Name: hakimbhungra

Post by hakimbhungra »

Hi,

In the scenario where we have only primary VB&R and that site is not available due to site non availability what are our steps to use the replicated VM on the DR site, what are the required steps to use the replicated VM’s.

Regards,
Hakim. B
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

You can either power on replica VMs manually (not recommended way) or re-install VB&R software, restore previously backed up configuration and start required operations, such as Failover/Failback via backup console (recommended way).

Thanks.
Nautilus
Influencer
Full Name: Nauti

[MERGED] : Disaster Recovery in a Second Site

Post by Nautilus »

Hi All,

we are planing a desaster Recovery plan.

We have 2 Sites
Site1
All Prod. VMs are in this site (DCs, Veeam Backup, vCenter.....)

Site 2
Only 1 DC is on this Site.

We would to start all our VMs on 2nd Site if 1st site goes down.
But how can i start Replica our restore Backups when my Veeam AND vcenter are down.

I Have a Problem to understan dto recovery procedure.

Thanks for any help
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It's recommended to install backup server in DR location. This way, if something happens with production site, replicas can be started from DR site without any issues. Thanks.
Nautilus
Influencer

Post by Nautilus »

Hi Eremin,

thank you for your answer but i dont know exactly what you mean ? Do have Veeam a white Papar or can write a little bit more about, how to backup/restore which VM from which server ....

thank you
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can either migrate existing backup server to a DR location or install there additional backup server and make it manage only replication jobs. Should anything happen with production site, you will still have a DR backup server (replication manager) at hand. Using it, you will be able to bring back replicated servers in required order (vCenter, DC, others). Thanks.
Nautilus
Influencer

Post by Nautilus »

Hi Eremin,

i have still problem to understand what i have to do. Let me ask this in a different question.

I have 1 Side (or more than 1, it doesn't matter)

- My Veeam Backup Server and my vCenter crashed.
- I Have only my ESXi Hosts. What do i have to do, to restore (from Backup) or failover (from Replica) my Veeam and vCenter Server (and can i restore or failover without vcenter Server)

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As mentioned, the best approach would be to install additional backup server in remote ("target") location and make it replicate all VMs to target, including vCenter. Say, the HQ infrastructure crashes, you would need to failover vCenter first and, then, other VMs in whatever order you want to. The corresponding steps are described in our User Guide.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If your replication jobs are targeting vCenter, you can manually failover vCenter server and Veeam B&R console (just start their replicas manually using vSphere Client) before failing over other VMs through Veeam B&R console. Another approach is to add target replication host as standalone (not via vCenter), in this case you will be able to failover via Veeam B&R console without the need to fire up vCenter first.

If you have backup of Veeam B&R configuration, you can also install the product anew (takes literally 5 minutes) and import its configuration from backup.
Nautilus
Influencer

Post by Nautilus »

its still not clear for me sorry.

Let me descrieb this another way.

i Have ONLY 1 Side (no desaster Recovery, not a 2nd Site) only my production Site.

1st Situation

- I make Backup from vCenter and Veeam to a different Server (NAS Box or what else ever)
--> My Storage fail, so i loose my Veeam Server and vCenter

How to Restore This VMs ?

2nd Situation
- I make Replicas from vCenter and Veeam to a different Server (NAS Box or what else ever)

How to restore this VMs.

There 2 different Situation.

I have a Problem to understand, how to restore Veeam or vCenter if you need this server to restore VMs... like "the chicken or the egg dilemma". If i restore this 2 VMs the following steps are straight ahaed...

Thank you for your help
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Nautilus wrote:1st Situation

- I make Backup from vCenter and Veeam to a different Server (NAS Box or what else ever)

How to Restore This VMs ?
You can either install Veeam B&R on any existing PC, import backups, and perform full VM recovery of both VMs or use a standalone extract.exe utility, which comes with every Veeam B&R installation and being copied to the backup storage along with backups allows to perform restore even without the need to install Veeam B&R first.
Nautilus wrote:2nd Situation
- I make Replicas from vCenter and Veeam to a different Server (NAS Box or what else ever)

How to restore this VMs.
In this case and if replication jobs are targeting vCenter, you either have to start both replicas manually using vSphere Client or install Veeam B&R on any existing PC, import its configuration from backup (as described in my previous post) and start vCenter replica manually. Please note, that for replication you need a second ESXi host, not just "NAS box or what else ever".
Nautilus
Influencer

Post by Nautilus »

Thank you Foggy,

This was the missing steps
--> import backups, and perform full VM recovery of both VMs or use a standalone extract.exe utility

Of Course you are right. If i Replicae VM (this means i need a ESXi Host and of Course VMFS Volume on this ESXi host)

Thank you for this Post

have a nice day
brichardson1991_obk
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Ben Richardson

[MERGED] : Replication - Target Veeam console

Post by brichardson1991_obk »

Hi All,

We've just started testing external offsite replication

We have a full Veeam B&R Console with WAN acceleration on both sides.
The Source side is where the job is started and the replica files are stored on the source side.

However how would i get the jobs to show in the target side so veeam can spin the replicas up in the event of a disaster and the source being unavailable.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It's recommended either to deploy additional VB&R server at target location and let it orchestrate replication-related activity or stick with just one remote VB&R server making responsible for both backup and replication. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

On a side note, DR orchestration is coming in our new product Veeam Availability Orchestrator. You can sign up to that web page to be among the first ones to receive more info on how this product can help you in a DR situation.