Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stonerj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jordan Stoner

B&R with Azure

Post by stonerj »

Hi all,

We've recently switched from SCDPM over to Veeam Availability Suite (Enterprise) and are loving it so far. We have it set up to write off 10 days worth of backups to disk, but the plan is to also write weekly backups to our new Azure cloud. However, I'm running into some issues. Our datacenter is just under 50 TB, and we're wanting to keep 12 weekly backups in Azure. The problem I'm running into is how to get it up there. Azure has a limitation on the size and number of disks (16x1TB) for each vm. No problem right? I'll just set up a SRO. Only, our license only allows for 3 extents in a SRO. This leaves me with one cloud repository of ~48 TB. Is there a better way for me to tap into our Azure storage? I found a forum post on here (link), the last post of which has a link that talks about seeding directly into the blob storage, but when I try to open it, it tells me I can't access that part of the forum. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: B&R with Azure

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Jordan!

It is strange that you cannot access the topic (it is located in the same subforum you have posted). Can you try again, just to be sure? I just test bumped that topic, and it is physically adjacent to this topic now.

In any case, we do not currently support backing up to blob storage, so seeding there makes no sense either.

Indeed, right now Azure does not have good options for enterprise-class repositories due to very low max virtual disk size, hopefully Microsoft is working on increasing that.

By the way, please note that VMs with more disk (16) requires that you buy VM size that includes beefy compute (which is not needed for a repository), so the whole solution based on Azure may not be very cost-efficient - at least as it stands today.

Thanks!