Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
vtreu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentin Treu

Tape Drive Empty

Post by vtreu »

Hi there,

we have the following effect on 2 different systems (with different tape drives):
After several days of working fine we get an "Empty" state shown after inserting another (inventorized) tape.
We restarted all services and the Veeam app but the state stays. Restarting the server is somewhat difficult for us.
Therefore i'd like to know what else we can do in order that we can get rid of that empty state.

Thank you!

veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape Drive Empty

Post by veremin »

Did you try to inventory a library and/or rescan a tape server once you stumbled upon an empty drive? Thanks.
vtreu
Novice

Post by vtreu »

We don't have a rescan option around the "Libraries" part.
We use the Free Edition of the tool.
Also restarting all services doesn't work.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I meant tape server (already corrected my initial response). If neither rescanning tape server nor inventorying library helps and drive stays in empty state regardless of being loaded with tape, then, it might stand to reason to open a ticket with our support team.

People with free licenses are eligible for support.

Thanks.
vtreu
Novice

Post by vtreu »

Ok, stopping the hanging backup, followed by performing an inventory action on the drive did it.

Thanks for your help!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should you come across any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.
superlemming
Lurker

[MERGED] tape not detected by software after change

Post by superlemming »

My supportcase : 00836137

hello,

I run Veeam B&R V 9.5, update 9.5.0.1038.

I have a little problem for detecting the tape in LTO from VEEAM. The copy on tape is done every night, then the tape is automatically ejected.

I want to make a powershell script which detects if the tape is inside or not, and the name of medium. But a have discover that when we change, on the morning, the tape and introduce the next, VEEAM do not detect the new tape. So it's impossible to know that the tape is inserted.

Actually i have a tape in HP LTO 5, i changed it at 9h30, and VEEAM system shows me no tape, no medium (status "empty"), and at 12H00 or 16H00 it is the same.. "empty".

However, it seems that the tape is detected correctly on the night cause my job runs at 00h00, and it runs without errors... so how is it possible for veeam B&R to save on a tape that is not detected by the software all along the day ?

Can i have a way to force veeam to detect the new tape ? I have tried to stop and start the "VEEAM TAPE ACCESS SERVICE" but it is inoperant. I heard about a job "tape librairies discovery", is it possible to force it at a specific hour ?

I notice that, after inserting the tape on morning, if we eject manually the tape and then re introduce the tape, veeam seems to detect correctly the new tape.. but it is not logical and not a solution.

Thank's for your response.
Regards.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Try to modify a script so that it inventories a drive first.
superlemming
Lurker

Post by superlemming »

v.Eremin wrote:Try to modify a script so that it inventories a drive first.
OK i finally found a correct syntax for run (and force) a tape inventory of my HP drive :

Code: Select all

Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapin
Start-VBRTapeInventory -Library 53b7171e-f4a1-4b11-b514-5cbe9ff08461 -Wait
This works and drive goes to Medium name instead of "empty".
Thanks a lot for your help :)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Since manual interaction with drive goes unknown for backup server, you need to inventory drive first. Glad to hear you've nailed it. Thanks.